Can't Access External HD After Virus Scan Starts

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sburke5, Aug 5, 2008.

1. sburke5 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I've been having problems with my external HD and my mac. I've got a Western Digital external drive in three partitions - two are HFS+ and one is FAT32. I'm running Leopard on my mac.

Whenever I plug in my external, the scan-on-connect virus scan will start on two of the drives (one HFS+ and the FAT32) and then nothing will happen. It won't start scanning any of the files - it'll just be prepped to start. I can't cancel the scan nor can I access any of the files on either of the drives (the third drive doesn't even show up). When I take it out of the USB port, the virus scan of the three drives (the third one suddenly shows up after I unplug it) cancels itself.

I want to reformat the drive, but I really need to get the files off of one of the HFS+ formatted partition before I can reformat it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Can you not disable scan on connect in the AV software before you connect the drive? Perhaps uninstall the AV software entirely before connecting the drive?
    Why are you running Anti-Virus on a Mac anyway?

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

YOU DO NOT NEED VIRUS SCAN ON OSX, as there are no viruses since OSX was introduced almost 10 years ago.

Uninstall the virus scan.

4. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

I agree. Uninstall VSCAN, as it's not needed on OS X. It's a waste of resources and time...