Can't access hard drive on AE

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by oliverwide, May 25, 2011.

1. oliverwide macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've got a Airport Extreme with a connected hard drive on which I have all my media, such as movies and tv shows. I have it connected to my jailbroken Apple TV 2 wireless.

However, I can't access the hard drive on my Macbook. The AE will show up in Finder (http://imageshack.us/m/543/7996/windowt.png) but when I try to connect nothing seems to happen. I have also tried to manually connect using Go>Connect to server with smb://10.0.1.1 and even smb://Extreme:mypassword@10.0.1.1 but with no luck.

What can I do?

Best regards,

Oliver

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Unless the drive is formatted as FAT16 or FAT32, you should be using AFP and not SMB to try to mount it using the 10.0.1.1 IP. Alternatively, select the name of the Extreme under 'DELAT' which I assume translates as Shared, then there will be a Connect As... option in the upper right of the Finder window. Once you connect with the password used to secure the base station, you should then see the contents of the AirPort Disk. See here for additional information.

3. oliverwide thread starter macrumors newbie

It is formatted as FAT32. When I select Extreme under Shared (Delat is Swedish for Shared) nothing will happen, the little "wheelie-thing" in the lower right corner (http://imageshack.us/m/14/1281/sharedx.png) will keep spinning forever and the Connect as... won't do anything whenever I click it.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Connect the MacBook directly to the Extreme via Ethernet, turn off the AirPort card, and try to mount the drive again. If you can mount it over Ethernet but not over AirPort the opens up a path to isolate the issue further.

5. oliverwide thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. It won't work that way either.

6. oliverwide thread starter macrumors newbie