Cant access healthy partition after bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by steve7677, Jul 9, 2013.

1. steve7677 macrumors newbie

Hi all, Im wondering if i have messed up my bootcamp install as i cant access the majority of my internal HDD.

I have just finished installing win7 via bootcamp 4 on osx ML (latest software updates) win7 is running fine, during the install i allocated 70gb to the win 7 partition and the remainder was left to os x (930gb). Now i cant access those 930gb and im wondering how i can change that. I would like the space available to my windows system as a (D:/) drive storage facilty.

Is this possible.

This is what my windows disk management is telling me.

[​IMG]

If i try to right click and assign a drive letter it wont let me all options except delete are greyed out. I cannot extend the C drive wither.

any thoughts?

Cheers
    Steve

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It is possible, but you realize you would need to destroy your Mac partition to do this, correct?

You would need to delete that partition and recreate it / reformat it NTFS to be able to use it. I would, however, caution you to think about this long and hard.

Some people have removed OS X from their MBAs to run exclusively Windows. If that is what you want, hack away.

You will not be able to install any future firmware upgrades to your MBA as those require OS X to install.

There is no way to "resize" a Windows partition. Easiest way is to clone it using Winclone, delete it, recreate it in a larger size, and restore the clone copy. A hassle to be sure.

A better way is to run Windows in a virtual machine using Parallels. That way the drive size expands as you need it to use up all available space. Drawback is that if you plan to run games or other graphics intensive apps, you may not be getting the most performance out of your MBA as if you booted natively into Windows.

I would recommend either resizing your partition or running a VM instead of removing OS X altogether. My $0.02.

3. steve7677 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so i should have just allocated 500gb to the windows install in the first place and split my hdd half for each OS.

Can i not go back and just re-install win7 via bootcamp and select the correct allocation size the second time.

As it seems this might be easier than winclone option. What is your opinion is winclone a real hassle or somewhat user friendly and quick?

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Winclone is very user friendly and quick, but it's up to you as to whether you'd rather use it instead of reinstalling after you delete and recreate your larger Bootcamp partition.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Correct. I'd use Winclone if I had a Windows install with a lot of customization and apps already installed. If the Windows install is fresh, reinstalling may be easier.

----------

Yes you can. Winclone is relatively easy, but if you don't have it and don't want to mess with it, reinstalling is an option.