Can't access hidden files, suddenly.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by inscrewtable, Jun 1, 2019.

1. inscrewtable macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

Command + Shift + period, doesn't work any longer, even the terminal command defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE doesn't work.

What is up?

running latest version of Mojave

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68020

CoastalOR

I'm running 10.14.5 and Command + Shift + period works fine for me. You might try the combo update for 10.14.5 or downloading the full installer and running it. Always make a backup before making a OS installation.

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

You might try a "finder alternative", such as "Forklift" or "Pathfinder", to see if they show you the invisible files...

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

i just tested and same here. OP are you sure you are hitting the correct keys? Are you maybe on a Windows keyboard and that mixed you up?

5. chabig macrumors 603

Caps lock?

6. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

Are you looking for .DS_Store? These are no longer displayed even if other hidden files are.

7. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 68000

inscrewtable

Well I"m not sure what is going on here. I get nothing. I've been using this for years, either with the keyboard shortcut or terminal. I know what I'm doing here, but nothing is happening. I everything else is fine. This is on a rMBP.

8. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Just wondering... do you have an EXTERNAL USB keyboard you could plug in and try?

9. chown33 macrumors 604

Try creating a new user account, and check it there.

If it works in the new account, then the problem might be in Finder preferences, specifically a damaged Finder preferences file.