Can't access internet after trying to network with windows PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mungee, Mar 6, 2013.

1. mungee, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013

mungee macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get my beloved macbook pro to talk to my wife's windows 7 machine and in doing so I can no longer access the internet on my mac. I changed a few things like the computer name and network settings, but i think what did it was on a suggestion from a forum I disabled bonjour in terminal. This is the command I used:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

I rebooted my macbook and i lost my airport extreme in the airport utility and I can no longer access the internet in safari. Please help!

Thanks,

mungee.

EDIT:

2010 Intel Macbook Pro w/ OSX 10.7.5

2. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

mDNSResponse used to just handle Bonjour, but since MacOS X 10.6 it is also responsible for regular unicast DNS resolution. This means that it resolves things like "www.google.com" into an address for client applications.

To undo the damage, just type the complementary command in a terminal window:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

3. mungee thread starter macrumors newbie

ElectricSheep, thanks a lot. All fixed! Now if I can only get the two machines talking to each other.

mungee.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

You kids sure love videos so look at Share files between Mac OSX and Windows 7 - Lucid Nerd Tutorial. However as a an older person I like manuals so the article File Sharing: Win 7 and Snow Leopard: Introduction (yea it is older but the Windows 7 function still is the same).

Then of the Mac side the System Preferences->Sharing pane for File Sharing still stands.