Can't access internet via. iTunes in my dorm

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yixian, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Yixian macrumors 65816

I have my dorm's internet access set up to work fine with everything... bar iTunes. Whenever I try and load up the store it says iTunes couldn't connect and please check your internet connection.

Under "Proxy" in my network's preferences I have it set up to connect to a PAC file on the uni's server. I'm thinking maybe it's something to do with proxies but I don't understand why every other app I've tried can connect to the net fine, including Safari, Mail and MSN.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

Maybe it's so you don't clog the network downloading movies and music?

3. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

So you think they might have specifically denied access to iTunes Music Store?

Seems odd.. there's been no mention of this, and sites like iPlayer work fine.

BTW in my proxy pref pane I am using "automatic" configuration to connect to the PAC file, rather than manual, if that makes any difference.

Anyone? :( I can't rent movies, download music, download apps for my iPhone or anything :(

4. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

See if you can talk to the tech support team at your Uni...

To be honest, by blocking the ports for iTunes, they are promoting piracy, so you could use that argument for getting the port unblocked ;)

5. Yixian thread starter macrumors 65816

So is this unlikely to be anything on my end? Is there anything I could try doing with my MBP/Airport Express before asking tech support?