Can't access Login Window for switching user...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by robert-a-hudson, Jun 22, 2011.

1. robert-a-hudson macrumors regular

Can anybody help...

When I go to "User>Login Window..." from the menu bar, my computer just hangs and never reaches the Login Window (it just sits with a bluey-background there and the rainbow wheel...). I've given it a few hours to try and get there, tried logging in and then trying to switch users without loading any other programs, I've even done a fresh install and tried again...

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? And, more importantly, of a solution?

When I switch my computer on, it loads the login window without any problems... it's just when I try to go back to it to switch users that it's a problem.

I'm running 10.4.11

Thanks in advance.

2. robert-a-hudson thread starter macrumors regular

3. johnfkitchen macrumors regular

Maybe your boot disk is overfull or needs a bit of repairing? And you appear to only have 1GB RAM, having more than one user logged in may be a stretch

4. robert-a-hudson thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply johnfkitchen :)

My boot disk has about 10GB free space.

Also, it turns out I should update my signature... I now have 2GB RAM (which is the maximum capacity for my olde-worldie macbook pro) as I upgraded in the hope that it may speed things up and also had a vague thought that this may help with the login window.

So... any further suggestions? How would I find out if my hard disk needed repairing? Is there anything I could check easily?

5. robert-a-hudson thread starter macrumors regular

Further investigation has revealed that I can get Fast User Switching to work, however to do this I must:

1) Go to Apple Logo :apple: > "Log Out User..." to completely log out of my session.

2) Log back into my session as User.

3) I can then get fast user switching to work by going to User > "Login Window..."

Does anyone know why this would be happening...? And, more importantly, if there is a way to fix it...