cant access my external hd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rwar, May 10, 2010.

1. rwar macrumors newbie

rwar

hi
    recently tired to access my ext. hd but now it says i dont have permission to read file. i dont know how this happened but dont know what to do. i have only use this ext. hd on this computer. does anyone know how i can take the permission block off of those folders in my external???

thanks

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Im not sure if it will work, but have you tried repairing the disk permission within Disk Utility?

[​IMG]

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you also taken a look at Sharing & Permissions?

[​IMG]

4. rwar thread starter macrumors newbie

rwar

thanks guys

thanks guys
    i kept playing around with it and i just found the way of getting in through using the command i short...and adding in my user name there. its a pain i have to do it for each folder but atleast i can access it ..
    but u know i have another question ....when i try to access my web site through ftp ..when it ask for my user name and password its always says its not correct. do u know why this would happen?

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

The only reason would be if the username and password were incorrect. What application are you using to gain access to your FTP?

6. rwar thread starter macrumors newbie

rwar

from main

from the finder i click the go part then to connect to server on the bottom , then a window opens that says connect to server. the ftp comes up then it asks for user name and password ..once i put the info in it trys to connect and its fails ..saying info is in correct ....at first i thought it was me but i tried it many times and says to same thing