Can't access my mini!!!

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by prism, Jul 30, 2011.

1. prism macrumors 6502a

Ok, I have a little problem here, I just replaced the defective HD of my mini with that of my MBP and it now boots fine to the login screen. Trouble is that I had disabled bluetooth on the MBP so now there is I am unable to login because my bluetooth keyboard and mouse do not connect!
    And no, I don't have a usb keyboard or mouse lying around.
    Am I missing something or is it impossible to access?

2. tbayrgs, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011

tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Is you're MBP still functioning and if so, any chance you configured the Mini (or I guess, your MBP) for screen sharing on your home network?

What about using a recent backup of your Mini and the restore disk for OS X (I'm assuming you're on SL)? Now that I think about it, without a keyboard to force the Mini to boot from the disk, don't think that's going to work either.

You can always reinstall the HDD in your MBP, turn on bluetooth, pair your keyboard and mouse and then move it back to the Mini.

Otherwise, I think the obvious answer is the correct one. You're going to need get your hands on a USB keyboard as there is no other way to turn on your bluetooth. Also, wouldn't be surprised if you encounter additional problems as your HDD is working with OS X under the assumption it's inside a MBP, not a Mini.

3. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, no, there was no sharing on the MBP so that wouldn't be an option. I guess I will have to borrow a usb keyboard, I'm surprised there is no other way out!

4. Darby67 macrumors 6502

There is, but it sounds like you or somebody else disabled it. In the the System Preferences - Bluetooth there is a selection to open Bluetooth setup should no keyboard/mouse be found. Even if BT is off it will turn on if this selection is left checked, but it sounds like it was set to remain off even if no keyboard or mouse are available.

Sorry for your hassle.