Can't access ONE website...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by haiggy, Jun 17, 2008.

1. haiggy macrumors 65816

Hey,
    I've got a problem where I can't access the website www.battle.net or any other links off that main site. Nothing loads. This did not used to happen, but just happened recently. I got a new router, but this site is not blocked in the preferences and I have no firewall on. Anybody know why this is happening?

2. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I think I've had the same happen to me a couple of times, where one website will not load - in fact it appears to be offline. I found it to be some kind of problem with the Internet connection. I used to be on Time Warner, and was unable to access EZBoard - the entire thing, so the Time Warner person on the phone had me do some things to the modem and router, resetting them or something. Might give your ISP a call.

3. cjduckk macrumors newbie

cjduckk

Does the hostname resolve to a valid IP? I've seen ISPs put DNS records in their servers that direct so-and-so unwanted host to 127.0.0.1. May want to try a different DNS server to eliminate that as a possible cause.

regards,
    -c.

4. haiggy thread starter macrumors 65816

I am not sure what this means.... any more elaboration? :)
    Thanks

5. cjduckk macrumors newbie

cjduckk

When you type a web address into the address bar, that address is translated into a 4-part number (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) that is used to direct your request to the necessary server on the necessary network. Most ISPs use their own DNS servers which, while mostly pulling their data from one of several main "root" servers, can also have a list of hostnames that point where they choose to point. This is how when you make a typo in your address bar, your ISP can direct you to a search page that helps you find what you're looking for (or provide you with a dozen ads for things similar to what you're looking for), or if you're typing in a web address they don't like, they can direct you to a black hole, or even back to yourself (127.0.0.1 loops back to yourself).

So, to check if this is the problem, you can try using an alternative DNS server.

regards,
    -c.