Cant access Security pane in system preferences?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BillySpooked, May 18, 2011.

1. BillySpooked macrumors newbie

I Cant access Security pane in system preferences?

I had an old 07 (intel) imac running leopard, I then bought a new imac last december, did a full time machine back up first. I then fired up the new imac restored from time machine, then installed snow leopard, all fine and dandy apart from one thing 'I Cant access Security pane in system preferences?'
    I have repaired permissions, deleted the plist thing, created a new user which also couldn't access the security system pref.

My last hope was the re install snow leopard which I did with no luck.
    I can only think that I need to re install snow leopard in a particular way as I ended up having to restore from time machine once again which probably put the gremlin back in the system.
    I am hoping 'OS Lion' will be the answer but I don't wont to wait any longer... its pis*ing me off big time.

ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated.... this is my first post.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Are you on an Administrator account? It makes no sense that you can access all the other prefpanes but not "Security" (is that the case?).

3. BillySpooked thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, yes the account is administrative, and yes i did check obvious
    and yes it is strange, hence I'm asking on a dedicated Mac forum?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Try a complete reformat and reinstall then. See if you can access the Security preferences then. If you can, import your TM backup via Migration Assistant. At least then you'll know where the problem is.

5. BillySpooked thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I thought that may be the only option left... pretty brutal, thanks for the feedback!

6. BillySpooked thread starter macrumors newbie

Solved

Bad Fonts... Backed up my font library then reset to system standard fonts. Rebooted then checked system prefs and hey presto I was allowed access to my security pref pane..