Can't Access Username/password HELP!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by donfishinghocke, Jun 10, 2010.

1. donfishinghocke macrumors member

A couple years ago i used my macbook for school and they installed their own administrative account, so i had 2 accounts, one for them and one for me, and i was always able to install updates and my username and password always worked until now.
    i realized that their administrative account is gone and somehow got deleted! Now every time i go to install something my username and password doesn't work, and I'm 110% sure its the correct combo.

What do i do????? i cant access anything! i have everything backed up in time machine on an external, if i put my restore disk in will i loose leopard, cause that was installed after i bought my mac, and how do i re-install everything from my backup?

2. donfishinghocke thread starter macrumors member

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe this can help you:

Tricking your Mac into creating a new user account

1. Power on or restart your Mac (should work for any Mac OS X system).

2. At the chime (or grey screen if your chime is turned off), hold down Command+S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode.

3. This step is optional, but it’s a good idea because it checks the consistency of the hard disk before moving on. At the prompt, type fsck -fy and press Enter/Return. Wait for the checks to complete before going to the next step.

4. Type mount -uw / and press Enter.

5. Type rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone and press Enter.
    6. Type shutdown -h now and press Enter.

from http://www.macyourself.com/2009/08/03/how-to-reset-your-mac-os-x-password-without-an-installer-disc/

4. donfishinghocke thread starter macrumors member

what will that do to help me?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could create the user account that is missing?

Though maybe I'm too daft to understand your problem completely.

Btw, if you have an x86 (Intel) Mac, you can buy Snow Leopard for 29USD and install that and then restore via Setup or Migration Assistant from your Time Machine backup, as your Restore DVDs obviously are for Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger), which has no Time Machine, thus it may not recognize a TM backup in the Setup or Migration Assistant.

6. donfishinghocke thread starter macrumors member

I'm still lost, i dont see how that i could create another administrative password without my password now to do anything

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As far as I understand, there is some user account with administrative privileges and a password maybe. Thus you could reset the password via the install DVD or the link I gave you. Or you could create another account with administrator rights via the instructions I copied and pasted here and then be able to enable the root account, which is described in here, which would give you access to everything.

Or you could go the SL route, as your machine seems to be faqed up anyway.