Can't activate EDGE settings - don't seem to exist?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by johnnycakes, Apr 9, 2010.

1. johnnycakes macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Can someone help me because using gprs all the time is driving me nuts.

I recently unlocked my first gen UK iPhone from O2 and now have an Orange pay monthly SIM only in there.

However, I can't seem to get any EDGE data.

There doesn't seem to be a setting for it, like:

Settings => General => Networks => EDGE

so I can't put in Orange's APN info.

Can anyone help at all? :(

Thanks,
    Johnnycakes

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

See if you can install your carriers IPCC file.

3. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

you were so close !! APN info is in settings>general>networks>cellular data network

4. johnnycakes thread starter macrumors newbie

>you were so close !! APN info is in settings>general>networks>cellular data >network

Thanks for the replies all, but my Network screen only has

Data Roaming
    VPN
    Wi-fi

Help! :(

5. con500 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Dont think there is a setting to toggle Edge the network usually swings from edge or gprs (on 1st gen device) dependant on edge coverage in your area. My sisters 1st gen mostly relies on gprs (displays a little circle next to orange on statusbar) although when she is outdoors the Edge coverage is stronger (displays a capital E next to orange on statusbar)
    However there is no toggle to switch between these its done automatically where there is strong signals. In the network APN all that needs to be there is "orangeinternet" (no spaces) other boxes are left blank.

6. johnnycakes thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the thing - there is no option to change my APN settings. In need to do this, it seems, to enable EDGE. At the moment, all get is GPRS.

Why won't my iPhone show APN settings?

7. con500 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Ye i had this problem when i updated the iphone to 3.1.3. The APN settings were gone/hidden (tho was still able to use data services, guess the sim holds the details the iphone needs) however after 3.1.3 all location services & maps stopped working so ultimatly i had to go back to 3.1.2 and the APN input settings were back & location services works fine