Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newbiemacgal

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
Hi all,

I successfully created a new folder. But I can't drag anything in it and I can't drag it to the dock?:confused:

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Do you drag it to the right side of the Dock?

How did you create a new folder, via Finder and CMD+SHIFT+N? Have you taken a look at the Get Info window via CMD+I while the new folder is selected and checked the Sharing & Permissions tab?

What Mac OS X version do you have?

And if you didn't use Finder to create a new folder, what application did you use?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Start a Reply in this thread.

Open the window that contains the folder causing problems. Highlight that folder. Now drag it into the Reply you just started.

This will cause the path to be shown. Edit anything you don't want shown, such as changing your user name literally to MyUserName.

This will allow others to see where this folder is, and maybe aid in finding the answer to your dilemma.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Ok, that helps. One of two plist files might be corrupt. This isn't always the reason for such things, but it works from time to time, so try this:

Find these files
HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist
HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

Move them (try one, then the other if you want to know which one was corrupt, if either one is) to the Desktop. You don't need to have the Desktop Folder open, just drop the file(s) on the background, the actual Desktop.

Restart. This will create a new default plist file to replace the now missing one in that folder.

Test it. If the problem is gone, Trash the file you placed on the Desktop. If not, try the other file, same drill.

How'd that go? (There are more things to try if it's still a problem.)

P.S. I created a new folder in the same location on my Mac and could do both of the things you are unable to do. So there is a fix, we just have to find it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.