Can't Add Google Account

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattjackson, Feb 15, 2017.

1. mattjackson macrumors member

My Gmail account was playing up, so I completely deleted my Google account from my Mac (i.e. didn't just deselect Mail, deleted the entire account). I also deleted the relevant entries in Keychain too.

However, now when I try to add my Google account again, it won't let me do so. It asks me for the email address, then the password, then the box just goes grey and does nothing.

Any ideas anyone? I've tried booting into safe mode and that made no difference.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Do you have 2-Step Verification enabled with Google?

3. mattjackson thread starter macrumors member

No never have done. Would this make a difference?

4. pwmarston macrumors newbie

I'm having the exact same issue and am currently working with Apple Support through a Chat. They claim that it is a Google problem but can't reference a bug#, forum discussion, or any other details supporting it's not an issue with Mail.I've authorized lower security accounts and do not have two-factor authentication turned on.

5. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

This does sound like a google problem. Google uses a API and certificate based authentication, and doesn't store plain text passwords when using the google option. The Google webpage usually displays at that point if you have 2-step. It could be that your google account has got locked, google does do this if it sees some unusual activity.

Try logging in here: Unlock Captcha - Sign in - Google Accounts

Its the google site that usually redirects if it is locked, as your not using 2-step google might be locking the account from new instances and for whatever reason isn't returning a web page saying the account is locked.