cant add music from second computer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThereGoesJB, Sep 26, 2013.

1. ThereGoesJB macrumors regular

I have a laptop and desktop

I originally setup my iphone on my laptop, i have the Sync options under the 'summary' tab unchecked in itunes and checked the 'manually manage music and videos'.

When i plugged it into my desktop, i could not drag/drop music to it. the 'manually manage...' option was not checked, so i checked it. I then recieved a message saying:

The iphone is synced with another itunes library on "laptop name". Do you want to erase this iphone and sync with this itunes library?
    An iphone can be synced with only one itunes library at a time. Erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this iphone with the contents of this itunes library."

So i hit cancel, but whats the deal, i unchcked every 'sync' option i could find on the laptop.

2. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

I remember a long time ago with my first (and only) iPod that I could only ever load music from one computer. Eventually, that changed but I have noticed recently that this restriction appears to be present with the iPhone. Maybe someone else with more knowledge can clarify but I'm thinking it's an Apple restriction that there's no way around outside a jailbreak.

3. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

You can only sync with one computer. Make a decision on which computer you want to use as your sync and then copy any missing music from the other machine on a USB drive to the sync computer.

4. deeddawg, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013

deeddawg macrumors 604

Since pretty much forever Apple has had a hub/spoke model for iTunes & iDevices. You keep one central repository with iTunes and sync all your iDevices against its instance of iTunes. AFAIK they've never supported using an iDevice with multiple source iTunes instances.

In recent years they've included cloud services into that model such that an iDevice can get its content from Apple's online music and app stores and download directly. This allows someone to use iDevices without having to always sync content to the device from their computer, provided they bought the content from Apple.

I believe there are third party software programs which allow you to put music on a device without iTunes, but that may complicate things if/when you later sync the device to the iTunes computer if you've not replicated the content.

troutspinner is spot on - you really need to decide on which computer will be your central repository and use it exclusive of the other. With the ability to wifi-sync it's a bit less onerous when you have more than one computer.

5. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

Haven't done this for quite a while now but a couple of years ago I had two computers that I wanted to sync with my iPhone. I set up as normal one computer, then copied the Music folder (the folder with all music, movies, and, most importantly, the iTunes library files) and pasted (replaced) the one on the second computer. Essentially this "fooled" the iPhone into thinking it was syncing with the same machine, since the library was identical. Worked like a charm back in the day. Not sure if recent changes to iTunes changed this...

6. ThereGoesJB thread starter macrumors regular

they have actually always allowed it through the "let me manage my ipod music files manually" and turning off all syncing options. (at least for every ipod ive owned).

My confusion is coming from my iphone/itunes (first iphone) having the same options but apparently not providing the same effect.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I don't have any links handy but people copy their iTunes library ID to other computers and are able to use both with their iOS device. If I wasn't in a hurry I'd give you a direct link. I'm not a "go search" guy but it is possible and you can search and find the information you need.

8. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

As you've already discovered, you can do what you want with an iPod, including the Touch, but when it comes to iPhones, it's a different story. I learned this with my first iPhone as well; 2 years ago with a new 4S.

I can't even guess why they treat the iPhone differently like this.

9. ThereGoesJB thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the reply, at least now im not wondering if its a glitch

I was trying to avoid the whole copying files to my laptop just so i can put them on the phone, but if thats how it has to be then ill just get over it.

I even tried using network sharing to drag and drop (while on my laptop) from my desktop drive to the iphone. It seemed to work, files dropped and went into that greyed-out tranfer mode, but never actually transfered. They just got stuck there and the itunes processing bar went away.