Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigmat1201

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Houston
If someone shares a contact with me, either through email or txt message, and i click on the .vcf file and tell it to "add new contact" it will not add it to the main contacts. If I add the contact from a txt message it will change the phone number of the contact i just added with name of the contact. But it will not add it to the main contacts on the phone and it will not upload the new contact to iCloud. I've quit the messages and contacts programs and tried again, didn't help. I've soft restart the phone and tried again, didn't work. I've turned off Contacts iCloud sync on the phone and turned it back on, didn't help. The only way i was able to add the contact was to add it from my macs mail program, once it was on my mac, it was uploaded to the cloud and downloaded to the phone.

Any idea how to fix this? I don't think its an iCloud sync problem, I'm thinking its some kind of bug in the way .vcf contacts get added to the main contacts on the phone. Not a huge problem but I would like to get it fixed if at all possible.

Thanks in advance

bigmat1201

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Houston
Works for me using Google contacts. Is it all vcf files, or could it be those created by a particular means?

well the .vcf files that I just tried were created on an iPad 4, so I would assume apple knows how to create good .vcf files. The ones I tried before that where created on either an iPhone 4 or 5, they both had iOS 6 on them though, just like the iPad 4 did.

Update: just tried exporting a google contact (I created a test contact on gmail contacts), in vcf format from my google account and emailed the vcf to my phone and tried to add it, but it still doesn't show up in my phones or my macs contacts. So I don't think it would work with any .vcf contact files, no matter who made them. I could add that google contact just fine though on my mac, and it would be uploaded to the cloud and downloaded to my phone.

I'm guessing since this isn't a known bug, from the lack of responses I've gotten, I should probably take my phone to the apple store and see if they can figure it out. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't some known problem that had some easy fix for it already. I don't like looking like a idiot in front of the apple genius's :)

Last edited:

bigmat1201

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2008
Houston
Took it to the apple store and they told me the only way to fix it is was to restore the phone. So I did a fresh restore and it fixed the problem, but i didn't have any of my settings or txt messages. So I did a restore with my iCloud back up and the problem came back again.

So does any know of a free program that will backup your texts/iMessages off your phone and then let me restore them on my phone after i've done another fresh restore? I know there are programs that you can pay for that will do this, but I only need to do this once and I don't really want to pay for a program i'm only going to use once.

Thanks

GoGas38

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
Same problem. VCF file emailed to me from IPad IOS 6 where it was created via Share contact option. On iPad iOS6 from email click hold and choose option to create new contact and press done but nothing added. Repeated attempts aft restarting, closing apps etc.. No improvement.

Only solution, create contact first with no info in and then choose add to existing contact from VCF rather than create new one and choose the one just made, the info is then added. Seems a bug in iOS6 it did seem to work in iOS5. Strange not more widely reported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.