Cant add ringtones,,, help?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ILBandit, Sep 22, 2008.

1. ILBandit macrumors regular

I have Itunes 8, and the newest firmware. In the past, I have just downloaded ringtones in the correct format, then while in itunes, clicked : file - add file to library - then selected the ringtone that I wanted to add, & it instantly showed up under my ringtones section.
    I was trying to add a few more tonight, and they wont go into itunes now. I tried several different methods, but none will move the file into the ringtones section of my itunes.

Has something changed with the newest version of itunes?? It has always worked before, I have about 7 custom tones on there now.

I can't figure out what is going on!!??? help???

2. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

Are you buying the ringtones from Itunes, or making your own?

3. ILBandit thread starter macrumors regular

downloading them in itunes format from a website. I have used myxertones for all of the other ringtones that I have on my phone, and they worked perfectly.
    The ones I an trying to load tonight are from a site posted on this forum. it is from http://www.free-ringtones.cc/free_mp3_ringtones.php?sort=cat&cat=funny&page=4

When I save them to my documents, then double click on them, it opens up itunes, like all the other tones I loaded previously did, but when it opens up, the tones are not added to the list that I already have on there???

4. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

The files could just be in M4a form, check the extension. If M4a change the extension to M4r then import and it will be a ringtone. And you can just make your own ringtones and do the extension thing and it works easy.

5. ILBandit thread starter macrumors regular

not sure how to do that?? When I click properties on the ringtone, it just comes up as file type : ringtone. It looks exactly like all the others that I have added already, so I assumed it would be the same??

6. patd macrumors member

Make sure that the ring tone is 30 seconds or less, I converted some of my music in my library and the ones that I had over 30 seconds did not show up in the ring tone library. I had to shorten them to under 30 seconds then they showed up in my ring tone library

7. ILBandit thread starter macrumors regular

Cool, I think I got it, you were right, uploaded the ringtones that wouldn't work to another site, then "created my own" there, and it came out just fine. Loaded right up onto my itunes.
    Thanks for the help, I assumed they would be the correct format, I guess they were not.

Thanks for the quick response.

8. homerjfry macrumors regular

homerjfry