Can't add songs individually, or play songs from the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jimmyz, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Jimmyz macrumors regular

It looks like to send a song to the iPhone you have to sync your entire library or a playlist. Once the song is synced, you can't play or delete individual songs/videos. And if I sync with another PC, it deletes all my current songs and replaces them. Anyone know how to fix this so it works like my iPod did?

2. Jimmyz thread starter macrumors regular

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, the did away with manual drag and drop sync...so you cant just hook it up to any computer and play its songs through iTunes now

4. Jimmyz thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, that really sucks...

5. iLunar macrumors 6502

iLunar

Is this for real? I can't add songs one by one to the iPhone, I have to sync it with a playlist? I hate using playlists, I would rather just move the songs, videos, and podcasts over manually.

Does the iPhone only sync to the first compute you connect it to? I want to have a Windows formatted iPhone so I can connect it to both my Mac and PC. Doesn't sound like I'm going to be able to do that.

Can anyone answer?

6. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Well, I can confirm that this is what I decided too. I created an iPhone specific playlist, and simply dragged my songs and movies into that, and then right-clicked on the iPhone and chose: "Sync".

On the iPhone page in iTunes, I've turned off "Automatic Syncing" and checked "Only sync checked items". Seems like a decent work around.

Here's my crackpot theory. As soon as we figure out how to activate "diskmode" on the phone, this will go away and we'll get a number of other diskmode specific capabilities. This is just my assumption right now, based on a few hints and trickles here and there.

~ CB

7. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

I'm following your suggestion. Where do you find the "Only sync checked items" option?

8. slazareth macrumors regular

After fumbling with this for a bit I ended up here. This is a horrible idea Apple! I love my iPhone, but not letting me drag and drop songs on to it is NOT COOL!

9. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    It's totally uncool. There are so many things involved with sync, that you don't want involved EVERY time you wish to put media on your phone. It's a huge irritant to using iTunes at this point for me. That said... gave away my Nano to my mother, and giving my 60 GB iPod to my sister. Honestly, I just don't want to look at these anymore when I have this gorgeous beauty in front of me (diskspace be damned)!

~ CB

Waiting anxiously for diskmode and drag-and-drop.

10. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Here is how I do it.

Create a playlist labeled iphone. Set the ipod to only sync the newly created playlist. I use that playlist and drag and drop songs into it.

When I use my phone all the artists/albums appear just fine and i have full control over playing my music as intended. It's not required to play only the playlist. I simply use it as the medium for controling what goes on my iphone since it's not big enough to hold all my music. When you modify yhe playlist it modifies the songs on the iphone upon the next sync.

As far as i'm concerned, that is drag and drop. Easy way for me to still sync all my music on my iPod and only some on the iPhone.

Works like a charm.

11. torid110 macrumors regular

This is the way i did it myself, which is an OK workaround. However, it sucks that i can't access the music on the iphone via itunes to play the music on my computer like i used to with my ipod. Hopefully apple will open this up in a future update.

12. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

I do something very similar using a smart playlist. I have it set to max out at 4GB, picking based on rating if it does go over.

This playlist pulls in songs from a regular playlist for when I want to cherry-pick songs. It also pulls in the artists that I am currently listening to. To change the playlist, I change the artists brought into it. A bit complicated, but it does do the job and lets me be hands off with my syncing, which is what I want.

13. abbonitn macrumors newbie

answer: Manually Manage

so to click and drag things on and off your iphone's music library (without using a playlist) here's what you do:

-Plug in your iphone, open itunes
    -Select your iphone on the side bar
    -Under your Summary tab check out options
    -check off "Manually manage music and videos"

Now check out your iphone music library in the sidebar, everything should be black and selectable (as oppose to gray and impotent)

personalize away.