Can't add timecode to video export...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by acearchie, May 3, 2010.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I have made a film at a factory for a client.

The client doesn't want me to edit the footage but supply the raw footage to another person for editing.

I have decided to make a low res version with a time code generator plugin so the editor can decide which clips they would want in high res (considering I have about 50mins of clips and the promo only needs to be a few minutes)

However, whenever I add the timecode generator to the nested sequence I am unable to export within final cut. Any option I push in "export using quicktime conversion" results in a general error.

If I try send to compressor the sumbit button is greyed out!

Is there anything else I can try or do before adding text to manually number every clip?

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Which Final Cut are you using? Pro or Express and which version?

Have you rendered the timeline/sequence before export?

Also FCP has a TC generator built in.

[​IMG]

I just did a trial and it worked for me.

I used a trailer from Apple, 720p and saved as .mov using the H264 codec. I imported it to FCP 7, shortened it and applied the TC Generator effect (how can one apply to another track without applying it to video clips? Avid can do that.) and exported (QuickTime Movie... CMD+E) as DV PAL and it works without any hiccups.

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I hadn't prerendered the sequence I really do hope that this is the issue. I'm using FCP 7 part of FCS 3.

I have read online that the sumbit button not coming up in compressor may be a bigger problem and require a whole reinstall! It's annoying because I can't seem to find my computer in the cluster selection.

I will try again when I am next home on Thursday!

What exactly are you asking?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Avid Media Composer has the ability, to have the TC Generator (TC G) effect being applied to a single and empty video track, thus there is no need to apply it to every clip, which is kinda exhausting with 200 cuts and more.

One simply uses an existing gap
    [​IMG]

to drag the TC G to
    [​IMG]

then drags it onto the second video track
    [​IMG]

starts to trim
    [​IMG]

and voilà
    [​IMG]

one has the TC G all over the complete sequence.

One can do that with FCP too I think, I just haven't found a way yet.

Nesting looks like a video mixdown.

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

batch convert the master QTs with Compressor with the TC Generator turned on

6. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

I have tried this but I still get a greyed out submit button! If there are any other things I could try on thursday it would be very helpful! Cheers!

7. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I didn't say use "Send to Compressor"... you should never do that...

Open Compressor independently, add the source QT files, apply your output settings and enable TC Generator.

8. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Sorry, I didn't realise that you could drag things straight into compressor! Thanks for the tip.

Will I litreally be able to drag in all the clips and export as one film? I will have to do this all on thursday night so if there are any tips or little tricks I might miss they would be greatly appreciated!

9. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you can't combine all of the QTs into one video with Compressor... You would have to do that in FCP first and then take that video to Compressor.

What you could do is export your nested sequence by choosing "Export QT Movie" which is not the same as the "QT Conversion" option.