Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hunterfrederick

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Hi-

I just recently upgraded from a G4 Powerbook to a new iMac. I have Final Cut Express on both. Just so you have some background I had to remove the AGP graphics card line of code just so I could get FCE to open on the new iMac.

Now I can open FCE but I can't even drop video into the timeline. it either won't let me or gives me the unknown file error. Some videos I have perviously created will drop in but others will not. They are normal file tyes like .mov's etc. so I know they should work. Some of the clips I am trying to drop in where captured in the new iMovie. Could that make a difference?

Thanks!

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
The reason you had to hack the code to get FCE to install is most likely because you're using an older version of FCE that wasn't written for IntelMacs.

Now that you forced it to install, you're finding out it doesn't run properly as well due to the processor incompatibility. Your best bet would be to upgrade to an IntelMac compatible version of FCE ... or sell the new iMac and purchase a older PPC Mac.

iMovie captures DV video as a DV stream (.dv). FCE and FCP captures DV video differently; as DV NTSC (or DV PAL) with 48khz, 16 bit audio. The difference is in how the timecode is handle and how the audio is treated. Before importing iMovie files into FCE or FCP, first convert them using QuickTime Pro to the proper codec.

-DH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.