Can't adjust to the OS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NatalieThomas89, Mar 25, 2017.

1. NatalieThomas89 macrumors newbie

NatalieThomas89

G'day. I'm a terrible Mac user. Really finding it difficult to adjust with lot of Mac stuffs as Windows user. Would be grateful if you could answer whether two of my problems below can be solved with any applications available for Mac.
    1. App to lock MacBook to compensate for Windows's instant system lock with a keyboard shortcut (Windows Key + L) instead of putting the computer to sleep as with the case of MacBooks. I know mostly anything as such won't be there for Mac but as a workaround, an app which can blank the screen or put the Mac in some sort of screensaver mode and locks the system which can be disabled up by a key press/shortcut and then the system lock screen appears to unlock the computer.
    2. App Locker for Mac which locks the individual apps as it's with Android.

2. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I can't answer for the second one, but to quickly lock the Mac you can do the following:
    1. Set the 'Require password' option to 'Immediately' under Security & Privacy in System Preferences.
    2. To lock the Mac (by turning off the display), press Ctrl + Shift + Power (or Eject, if on an older MacBook).
    You could also set a hot corner, under Mission Control in System Preferences, to activate the screen saver (or put the display to sleep). I recommend holding a modifier key (e.g. Command) to prevent accidental activation of the hot corner.

3. leman macrumors G3

This doesn't work on a touch-bar Macs btw.

4. dhw01 macrumors newbie

On Touchbar MBP, you can just add the "Lock" to the touch bar in the Touchbar/control strip Preferences.

5. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

Keychain Access->Preferences->Show Keychain Status in Menu Bar will give you a clickable padlock that gives you a Lock Screen option.

6. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

For touch bar Macs go to System Preferences, then select Keyboard. Under the Keyboard tab, click Customize Control Strip.