Can't afford SSD , do u suggest buying a third party HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arash15, Jun 29, 2010.

1. arash15 macrumors newbie

Hi guys

i cant afford to buy a SSD and apple charge more than 100 bucks to upgrade from 320GB 5200 to 500GB 7200. Do u think i can get sth cheaper and yet good from other manufacturers?

2. Reapur macrumors regular

3. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'd highly recommend getting a third-party HDD from Newegg, like Reapur said. The prices on sites like Newegg and Amazon are always lower than if you were to take a computer into the Apple Store, and you also get the choice of hard drive manufacturer. I tend to prefer Western Digital or Seagate. Good luck!

4. Beefy macrumors member

Yep, get a drive elsewhere. I have a 750GB Western Digital Scorpio Blue on the way for my new MBP 13" and it was about $95 at NewEgg.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I guess I'm in the vocal minority, I would recommend spending the $100 for the CTO upgrade with Apple and get the 500GB 7200. The main reason is Apple will fully support it. With a 3rd party drive, when it fails Apple will send you on your merry way to the 3rd party manufacturer for a replacement. Secondly, I've seen multiple threads here on MR (the place where many people profess to be such experts, :rolleyes:) end up stripping screws or scratching the the bottom plate from the inside while trying to do the upgrade. To each his own, but for only $100 I would pay it Apple and let them install an Apple supported HDD.