Can't AirPlay slo mo videos from 5S or 6 Plus

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MoodyM, Oct 22, 2014.

1. MoodyM macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I have a 5S and 6 Plus, both on iOS 8.1.

I have an Apple TV (very latest 3rd gen model). My mum has the same model at her house. Both Apple TVs are on iOS 8.1.

I cannot get slo mo videos from 5S or 6 Plus to stream to AppleTV via AirPlay. It doesn't matter if I just try normal streaming or Mirroring, they won't play. They don't play on the iPhone screen or the TV. If I disconnect from AirPlay, they play on the iPhones just fine.

Normal videos (i.e. not slo mo) play fine on Apple TV.

Both Apple TVs are connected via Ethernet. iPhone 5S and 6 Plus connected via 5Ghz WiFi (802.11n for 5S and 802.11ac for 6 Plus).

Any ideas?

2. profets macrumors 68040

Maybe a bug? I just tried and experienced the exact same behaviour.

3. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I filed a bug report, would be good if others did the same:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

4. CptSky macrumors regular

AppleTV only support 30 fps playback I think. That's normal to be unable to display videos at higher frame rate.

5. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

Slo-mo videos are acquired at high frame rates but playback is always at 30fps. That's how they look slow. If acquisition and playback were the same date you'd never see a slo-mo effect, regardless of the frame rate.

6. profets macrumors 68040

7. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Don't think it's that cos I recorded some 60 fps on my iPhone 6 Plus and they streamed fine

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Slo-Mo uses 120 FPS or 240 FPS not 60 FPS.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/cameras/

"Slow down life’s fastest moments. The slo-mo feature on iPhone 6 lets you shoot HD video at either 120 fps or 240 fps in 720p. You can even record and then select the portion you want to slow down, or change which section of your film is in slow motion at any time."

9. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

I know it does, but the guy reckoned maybe it didn't work cos Apple TV only supports 30 fps. I'm saying that can't be the problem as it plays 60 fps ok

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If you already know what's the problem ? The Apple TV just won't do 120 or 240 fps via Airplay.

11. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Same issue here.

I tried Slo-Mos (120 and 240) opening weekend and neither was able to play on my AppleTV.

I had a 5S briefly, but not sure i ever tried playing them there.

it really stinks!!

12. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

The guy suggested the Apple TV won't do anything except 30fps. I pointed out it streams 60fps from my 6 Plus just fine.

And if the reason it won't work is because it can't handle 120 or 240 fps then there should be a nicely formatted error message saying so - as it stands it's just pot luck to whether you get a black screen, or 1 frame from the video, or audio but no picture. Not very intuitive and very un-Apple like.

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Un-Apple like ?

Apple clearly states what video the Apple TV does.

http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs/

"H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High or Main Profile level 4.0 or lower, Baseline Profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
    Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format"

14. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

Going by that then, it shouldn't play 60 fps videos recorded on iPhone 6 Plus?

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Get over it man. You know. I know. Everybody should know the Apple TV won't do 120 fps or 240 fps.

End of story.

16. MoodyM thread starter macrumors 6502a

MoodyM

But people can apparently get it working by routing them through iMovie?

17. CptSky macrumors regular

If it's not listed in the compatible video formats, there is no guarantee. If the compatibility specify 30 FPS max, but 60 FPS videos are playing fine, that does not mean that 120 FPS videos should play...

I had videos converted with Handbrake exceeding the Apple specification that worked fine on my AppleTV until I updated it one year ago. It wasn't supported at the first place and was just working by chance... Stick with the spec to be sure that something is truly compatible.

iMovie might drops frame ? Or doing something with the video before sending it to the AppleTV that the iPhone does not do ?

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I just open the movie in iMovie, save it back to the camera roll and it works. It finalises the video though so you can't control the slow-mo anymore.

19. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Well that kind of negates the topic of this discussion sir.

:D

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

No, the slow mo still happens where you set it - you just can't change it afterwards. The movie is saved as a new file in the camera roll so you can just do the process again if you want to change the position etc.