Can't Anyone Answer Me?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mykngnee, Sep 19, 2007.

1. mykngnee macrumors newbie

I asked this once before & had 40 views and no replies. I guess no one knows the answer. But I will ask once again and hope somebody can help me!
    I am using Netscape 7.2 on an iMac G4 and I keep losing my video capability on websites like youtube or any website with video. I get a Q (Quicktime symbol) with a QUESTION MARK in the middle of it where the video would appear.
    [​IMG]
    I download FlashPlayer 9 and then it works. But when I close the browser & reopen it it is gone again. I have to keep reinstalling FlashPlayer. How do I get it to stick? :confused:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It sounds like flash support is defaulting back to Quicktime....

Out of curiosity, why are you using Netscape 7? Have you tried using Netscape 9 to see what happens?

4. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

The question is why is he using netscape at all! Firefox and Safari are just as good, if not better.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Don't look at me! I'm just humoring her/him on whatever he/she uses. I haven't used Netscape since... god, maybe 1998....

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

*Looks at you!*

7. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

If Quicktime keeps associating itself with flash, then open the Quicktime preferences and un-check flash in the file types list. There may be a preference setting in Netscape for what application it uses for various content types as well.

8. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

While this may well fix your problem I would seriously get up to date with your browser. Versions that old are bound to cause all kinds of problems.

If you absolutely have to have that browser for one particular thing, then install another one for everything else.

Cheers.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Why aren't you using the latest version of Netscape? Or, like, Safari? Why aren't you responding to posts in your own thread?

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehehehe

[​IMG]

Well, hopefully, whoever they are, they will come back, get Netscape 9 (or ideally just delete Netscape 7), and we can figure this out. :D

11. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Friends don't let friends drive Netscape.

This message brought to you by Message Boards Against Netscape Driving and the Ad Council.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What method are you using to install? (be specific on all of the actions you go through in your installation process.)

It's possible that you are not actually correctly installing the sofware, but are running it from a mounted disk image. If you restart, and the disk image goes away, it stops working.

13. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

I didn't even realize Netscape still made browsers, let alone for the Mac. Just found N9. I'm (in complete contradiction to my previous post) going to try it and see what happens. :eek:

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My understanding is basically that Netscape became Mozilla and then re-branched from Moz / Firefox again at some point. So now it's sort of like Camino in the Firefox universe? Clevin is the resident Netscape fiend. I'm more of a Netscape heckler. :p

15. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

:D oh this is too much!!! LMAO!!!!

Yeah I've had that same problem and worked on Qtime preferences till I decided to re-install the falsh player, once done. I restarted my PM and have not had any problems at all since then. oh and I'm running Firefox, why I was told that it is a whole lot better than MS, I rerally use Safari but it runs good too. Drop Netscape and run Firefox, believe me you won't go back!!

:apple:

16. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Actually, I'm now surfing along quite nicely in the beta for Netscape 9. God help me, I actually like it. And I can say without reservation that N9 is not your grandma's N7.x. At all. Period.

It handles AirwolfThemes.com and MacOffice2008.com equally well, and in fact it handles the MacOffice site flawlessly, whereas I couldn't even properly view the site on my other browsers.

Next time, I think I'll keep my mouth shut. :eek:

17. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

.......interesting then I should talk to the IT here to switch cuz I am having a hard time viewing the Macoffice site on a Dell P4 Optiplex GX620 running Winn XP :(

:apple:

18. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well yeah but I don't use System 7 then ask why I can't watch YouTube videos :D which is essentially what this person is doing.

Netscape 9 is actually my other installed browser, for when Safari doesn't work with something. I don't like Firefox at all, especially once I realized how small and nice N9 is (after I knew it existed).

19. theman macrumors 6502a

I can get the internet tubes to flow correctly on my Apple IIe. The Youtube won't function.

20. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I like tubes, too.

21. mykngnee thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm Back...thanks

For all the replies. I had to take the wife to the hospital. Just got back and wow, I appreciate all the help. So...........
    a.) I tried Netscape 9 and it didn't function the way I am comfortable with the old version 7.2
    b.) I hate Safari because my credit union & bank websites don't get along with it. And there is no way I want anything to do with Internet Explorer. Hate it!
    c.) I tried Firefox, Netscape 9 & Safari and got the exact same results. Q w/?

I will try some of the suggestions tomorrow, it's late & my better half needs attention with recovery from surgery.

Mike

22. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well thats good, especially since IE:Mac was discontinued in 2003 and Microsoft themselves say "do not use this" on their web site:

Picture 1.png

23. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

Well, you can choose to either have youtube work, or credit union & bank websites work. ;)

About C, do you mean you tried all of those browsers, and they don't work?

Have you tried what pjarvi suggested?

24. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Hopefully you're not using an ancient version of Quicktime as well, but here is where the settings are on my Mac:

1.) Open System Preferences (i'm running Tiger)
    2.) Click on QuickTime
    3.) Click on Advanced
    4.) Click on MIME Settings
    5.) Expand the Miscellaneous section
    6.) Un-check Flash

If QuickTime isn't under System Preferences on your system, then find the app's icon and open QuickTime itself. If you're using an old version of QuickTime that doesn't have the same layout as current versions, the Advanced settings will be in the Preferences menu, and there may not be a MIME Settings button. You may need to reinstall the Flash player after doing the above, If QuickTime was removing the plugin from Netscape's plugin folder.