Can't Apple get it right with the Address Bar? Safari.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joejoejoe, Feb 26, 2009.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

While the new smart address bar in Safari is a great improvement over Safari 3, it still doesn't match Firefox's smart location bar. For example, typing in "investments" in the firefox bar will bring up every website that has to do with investments (like fool.com) whereas if you want to get to that site with Safari, you have to start typing in the f for fool.com.

Why didn't they go all the way with the new Safari? It's seems like Firefox's implementation was inspired by apple and spotlight, I'm surprised Apple didn't come out with it first, let alone not implement it in their latest upgrade to the software.

I'm only annoyed because I will always use Safari over firefox (for the speed and integration benefits). Is it possible that plug ins could fix this shortcoming?

2. Spartan1250 macrumors newbie

You do realize safari 4 isn't actually out yet, and this is just a beta right? Let's wait for the final release before we start complaining about it please.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

A public beta release is a fair display of what the final product will be (especially when you're only talking an app rather than an OS). It's not unreasonable to comment on shortcomings, especially in a forum, that's what beta's are for.

4. numlock macrumors 68000

what about having the autocomplete function also working when you delete the last character incase of a mistype. never understood why that wasnt included

5. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

+1, good point.

And yea, I figured I'd post because it is a beta and hopefully Apple will take these things into consideration before releasing the final product.

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Frankly I find Firefox's "smart" address bar to be anything but. It annoys the heck out of me. I much prefer Safari's implementation. However, that is my opinion.

No one will ever be able to make a browser that everyone likes everything about. Different people like and expect different things.

7. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

anyone know any plugins that will make the safari address bar like firefox

i like how the address bar in firefox is like a google search bar

8. GreenyOSX macrumors newbie

9. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Safari 4 is already enough like Chrome... Why don't they just go all out and put the search bar and address bar in one?

I don't see any sense in having them separate. That's one thing that I really liked about Chrome on Windows.

10. danb77 macrumors 6502

Keywurl will do that for you. :)
    I have my default search set as Feeling lucky and it is working great! :)

11. Jenius macrumors newbie

I prefer Firefox address bar way more too. This is the only thing that is still annoying me in Safari 4... It is so much harder to find an visited page on Safari's address bar compared to Firefox because I have to type it all the way from the start.

12. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Uh, you don't wait until something is finished to complain.... :confused:

13. tonyreedo macrumors newbie

Couldn't agree more. Besides, there's already so much they don't have right in Safari, let's get in on in now and maybe they can fix a few things.

The address bar autocompletion feature, for example, should have a check box preference option to disable it! My clients don't need to see what I have bookmarked while browsing. ...and I saw one post where it earned a guy a divorce.

Anyone know a way to disable this very dangerous and annoying feature?

I'm only in Safari for the autofill feature, otherwise Firefox rocks. Firefox has easy addons to maintain privacy- how is it Safari programmers don't see security of information and browsing history as top drawer app features?

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, I've tried the history.plist stuff.

14. tonyreedo macrumors newbie

Keep em on track with feedback

That's exactly why they should spend more time giving us check box options in preferences to shut off all their questionable attempts at improvement.

For example: fave Photoshop functions and shortcuts lost with every upgrade.

And yes, you don't wait till they've built the Eiffel Tower to suggest perhaps a dome.