Can't Apple make some room to put a full sized keyboard on their notebooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by n459umb4786ers, Sep 6, 2009.

1. n459umb4786ers macrumors regular

Maybe if they put the speakers on the display wouldn't they have more room to be able to put a full sized keyboard? Or would it make the display thicker?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They could put the speakers on the bottom, similar to the white MacBook, but that is not the reason why they are not making a netbook.

3. n459umb4786ers thread starter macrumors regular

I didn't ask why they are not making netbooks I was asking why they can't make a little more room to put a full sized keyboard on their notebooks.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I am aware and responded to it. They could obviously remove some of the room between the keys and they would likely have to make some keys smaller and rearrange things, but it would also depend on if you are trying to fit it into a 9" or 10" because the extra-inch is a large difference, even if it is diagonally.

5. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

They (apple) typically are not willing to sacrifice the aesthetics of the machine for a function that is non-essential.

The function you're advocating for (a full keyboard) is non-essential. There you go.

6. n459umb4786ers thread starter macrumors regular

7. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

I disagree. I would rather have a well designed machine than one crowded with non-essential features that only a subset of the population would use.

If I wanted that, I would buy a Dell. You should consider doing the same.

8. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

I think they are making full-size keyboards that are way better compared to PC's:D

9. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

This could only be a valid discussion if it specifically asks "why cant we have a numbers pad on 17" MBP"? 13" and 15" are small in size for that even though Apple has no intentions of doing this. Even on DELL -or other WinPCs- the number pad is included with some 16" and 17" models.

For a laptop, it just makes sense to leave the number pad out and let the users buy a USB or BT add-on if they need it for heavy number crunching, etc :D

Wait.... Is there another definition for a "full size keyboard" that I am not aware of?

10. Feng Shui macrumors regular

Corporates want $$$, not your opinion. Plus, size doesn't matter for most of us (no pun intended).

11. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

Plus, size doesn't matter for most of us (no pun intended).[/QUOTE]

One word for me....LOL

12. 7even macrumors 6502a

How do you define a full-sized keyboard? Do you mean like with a number pad on the right side? The keyboard itself is full-sized on the laptops.. I don't think most people have a use for the number pad..

13. n459umb4786ers thread starter macrumors regular

If Apple ever added a Numeric keypad onto their notebooks I Don't think they would make it so crowded and messed up like netbooks. Apple is smart than that, Aren't they?

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

You can have whatever colour you want, as long as it's black. - Henry Ford

Apple aren't famous for listening to their customers. If you buy a Mac you put up with it, if you don't then you buy a PC. That's just how it is with Apple. If you do a bit of research into Steve Jobs (CEO and co founder), you will see why.

15. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

The keyboard is full sized. The num-pad is a different storry. And it would offest the keyboard from the centre of the body as it is now, pissing a lot of typists, developers and everyone who has to write fast and comfortably.

16. simonshek macrumors member

As mentioned above, what is full size keyboard?
    I don't need numeric pad for my notebook. It is a mess...and too big to carry around with a keyboard with numeric keypad.

17. n459umb4786ers thread starter macrumors regular

I guess it wouldn't be too hard getting used to using the number keys above the letters.

18. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Or just get an external numerica pad. There are even wireless ones.

I work with statistics and I sometimes have to type numeric datasets by hand. For these rare occasions though I use an external keyboard.

19. dlhuss macrumors member

No damn number pads!!!

I hate that about 17" PC laptops. The trackpad is off center!

Buy an external number pad if you need one. I'm willing to bet money, most don't.

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Like if you own a Mac notebook?

21. RKpro macrumors 6502

the current flood of cheap 16" 16:9 laptops have number pads beside their keyboards, and they are horrible because the keys become too close together, the rarely used number pad results in almost netbook like key density.

22. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I like the Apple keyboard better than the 'standard' one. I find it very hard going back to any other computer.

23. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

USB pad...:confused:

24. Meever macrumors 6502a

Numberpads suck. Average consumer has no use for them. If you're working with video/picture/music you've got no use for them.

Honestly unless you're like a mathematician or an accountant you've got no reason to use number pads anymore these days.