Cant backup! Help!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ritmomundo, Jan 21, 2011.

1. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I just recently got a new MBA 11" and when I go to sync/backup my ipod touch 2g with ios 4.0, i get an error message saying "iTunes could not back up the iPod because a session could not be started with the iPod." It seems to sync fine, but then I get the error msg and it doesnt do the backup. I want to upgrade the iOS to the latest 4.2, and keep my settings and game scores, etc., which is why I need it to back up.

It worked fine with no errors before on my old laptop (MBP 13 2009), but I no longer have it to back up to. I can backup fully to my dads PC without errors, but I dont want to have to back up to the PC everytime.

Ive tried searching for different solutions, and nothing seems to help. Some of the things I've tried:
    -changing the timezones
    -deleting old backups (its a new laptop, so there are no backups to delete)
    -restarting ipod
    -restarting laptop
    -reinstalling itunes (i've got the latest - 10.1.1)

I really don't want to do a restore and lose all my program data and settings. Is there any way to back up to the PC, copy the saved data over to my MBA, restore the iPod touch, and then backup with the MBA? Any help would be appreciated!

2. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

I thought you can actually only sync with one computer at a time. Did you try syncing and then to back up your iPod?

iTunes has a backup folder, just search in your itunes folder with the search function. Copying the files from one computer to another might work. What could go wrong? You still have the backup at the computer where the backup worked. So it's worth a try.

3. ritmomundo thread starter macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

you're partially right, you can only sync with one computer. but you can backup to as many as you want (right click the iPod in iTunes and select backup).

so I did a backup on the PC, then copied that backup folder to the corresponding location on my mac. then did a full restore with the latest iOS, and then synced it, and it worked flawlessly. no more errors and I still have all my settings and data!

4. frifra macrumors 6502a

frifra

5. ritmomundo thread starter macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

thanks! it actually runs smoother now than it did before, so thats an extra perk