Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
So this is the first time I'm having an issue backing up my iPhone. It's also the first time I'm not doing it via iTunes, since it's now built into Finder. I'll give you a rundown of what's happened to me so far.

First backup I ran it looked like it finished. It then said my last backup was 12/31/00 and at 12:00. Was a little strange to see that, but I thought maybe it was a glitch and was just displaying the wrong date. I then restored using that backup and the phone had nothing on it but stock apps. It had my settings and such but none of my apps were on there.

I then tried it again and it gave me an error that my backup was corrupt. I then deleted the backup and tried it again but no luck. Then again, and again until I came to this site to see if anyone has any recommendations.

I was considering the cloud since I pay for the extra storage, and tried that but when my phone restored I didn't have any pictures or videos that were on my phone before. Not sure why this happened. Seems like the backup isn't backing up everything on the phone.

Are there any third party apps that are good that I can use to backup and restore my iPhones? This is a little frustrating that this is the first time I'm trying the backup on Catalina and it's not working.

Any tips or recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
A few forum members use a software called iMazing I think. Alternatively give Apple a call to see what troubleshooting they suggest.

Best success!

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Ok, so last night I kept trying it on my MacBook and iMac and still couldn’t get anything. I decided to give my windows laptop a shot with iTunes and it worked without any issue. A little bummed that I can’t seem to back up my phone on any of my main computers which are Mac.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Ok, so last night I kept trying it on my MacBook and iMac and still couldn’t get anything. I decided to give my windows laptop a shot with iTunes and it worked without any issue. A little bummed that I can’t seem to back up my phone on any of my main computers which are Mac.

Have you tried contacting apple? They might be able to help you out. Strange how it works on windows, but not macOS. ?

rdunlap

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Have you tried contacting apple? They might be able to help you out. Strange how it works on windows, but not macOS. ?

That is my next move. I just haven't been able to find the time to reach out to them this week. Now that the weekend is here I plan to do that.

Definitely weird that it works on Windows and not Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.