Can't backup my iPod Touch normally. Why?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TTY TOM, Oct 27, 2011.

1. TTY TOM, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

TTY TOM macrumors newbie

In September, I was syncing my iPod Touch 2nd Gen with iTunes. After syncing it, a dialog box popped up saying that the backup could not be saved OR the session could not be started. Then I tried to sync again but the same message appeared.

A couple weeks later, I synced my iPod Touch. Well, to be honest, it didn't even sync because iTunes said that it was starting to sync for more than an hour. So I ejected the iPod and restarted iTunes. After restarting it, everything worked out to be fine, except the backing up process.
    So I then searched on Google for solutions to this problem (all of the methods I have taken are listed below), and it kinda worked. iTunes did start to backup but the progress bar was not moving at all, even after an hour so I gave up.

Every time I backup, I go to the back up folder to see if it's making any progress. It does back up, but only for a minute or so. As soon as I start syncing it, it starts to back up but then nothing else gets modified or created after 1 minute.

Note: I don't want to restore my iPod because I don't have any back up to restore it from and I don't want to lose anything that is on there.
    Also, if I restart my computer I can back it up again but the same problem as mentioned above occurs.

What I have done:
    -Deleted the backup via iTunes > Preferences > Devices
    -Manually deleted the backup folder in AppData > Roaming > Apple Computer > MobileSync
    -Rebooted computer
    -Reset Warnings on iTunes
    -Restarted iPod Touch using the Home and Power Button
    -Tried a different USB Port

Information about backup:
    As of 28th October, the backup folder is at 39.0MB

2. JunkyDog macrumors 6502

Seems you have done it all except from one thing, remove itunes and reinstall it again, that might work. Or try changing cables, even try different USB ports, everything has to be tryed out..

3. transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

You have done everything except what will fix it. using iTunes do a hard reset on your Touch 2G During the process it will first backup your Touch and then reload iOS 4.2.1. That should do it.

4. TTY TOM, Oct 28, 2011

TTY TOM thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you definitely sure that it will back it up and I won't lose any data? Won't it take ages for my iPod Touch to back up during the restoring process because the backup folder is only at 39MB?

Or are you talking about holding the power and home button until it restarts itself? I've already done that, and I'm still getting the same message in iTunes (The backup could not be saved on the computer) .

I've tried different USB ports but no luck. The USB cable I have is wearing out but this backing up problem began before the USB cable started to rip.

5. transmaster, Oct 28, 2011

transmaster macrumors 6502

transmaster

I am talking about plugging your iPod Touch into your computer on iTunes you will see your device listed click on that and go to the device's summary page you will see a button for restore. This will reload your OS and return your iPod to factory settings. If you are set for manual loading of files, music and video, it will not reload these files, if you have it set for automatic sync it will. You didn't say what files you are worried about loosing. The last time I did a full restore except for the music and video files which I load manually everything else was restored to as it was before the restoration, memo's app's, podcasts, wifi setting etc.

6. TTY TOM, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

TTY TOM thread starter macrumors newbie

Will my notes, game progress (e.g. Angry birds completion) etc. be there after restoring?

7. TTY TOM thread starter macrumors newbie

By the way, can I use an .ipsw file (iOS 4.2.1) that is on my desktop to restore from because iTunes tends to say that it can't contact the iPod Software Update Server (problems with my connection, doesn't have to do with firewall). On Windows, I just have to press Shift and click Restore right?