Can't believe nobody posted shattered glass at NY APPLE STORE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appl3FTW, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Apparently a snowblower hit to during the northeast snowstorm. Approximate $445k to repair. Whoaaa someone's gonna have no paycheck lol

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4644084

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, that is a lot of money to replace just one pane of glass.

3. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

I was wondering how that didn't make the front page but icahn buying stock did lol

4. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

5. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Yeah that's a lot of money, but a piece of glass that size and weight can't be that easy to make, then to transport it without breaking it. The prices doesn't really surprise me.

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I really doubt a single pane of glass is half a million bucks. I suspect the figure is being inflated so that they get a bigger insurance payout. They might be trying to do sketchy things like incorporate "lost sales due to customers not trusting the glass" into the "cost".

7. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

Can't believe nobody posted shattered glass at NY APPLE STORE

Probably includes the installation cost too, but yeah, that seems like an excessive price.

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

The glass itself is custom, extremely thick, and huge. From there, factor in delivering and installing it, any and permits would be required to get it, the necessary cranes, and all other supplies there, and for partially closing the road/ sidewalk area.

Considering where it's located in Manhattan, almost half a million sounds fairly reasonable.

9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Let's say a work crew of twenty (probably far more than needed) making $50 an hour, for an entire day.

50 * 8 * 20 = $8000 labor

Even if equipment rental costs $50K, that's $58K so far for installation.

I'm sure there's other costs, but I just can't fathom how they're getting up to half a million. This is NOT a trivial amount of money; you can build a rather large and luxurious HOUSE for that much, including all labor and materials.

10. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

Imagine what it'll be like when the spaceship campus' grass gets cut!

11. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

u guys do know we're talking about apple here right? that's chump change really.. LOL

12. cynics macrumors G3

Exaggerated cost I'm sure. It will be a lot less expensive then that. Being a contractor at one time I've bid a lot more for a lot less on some crazy window package albeit not quite that size for a single pane.

Then again I'd have to see the store in person. If the building needs to be taken down to replace it. Or if city streets, power, water needs to be shut down to replace it. Store revenue for down time etc etc.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Doesn't look like they'll need to cut the field grass.

[​IMG]

14. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I read that the door weighs nearly 800 pounds. If true, that is a HELL of a lot of glass, and it requires more than your average Home Depot hinges... I built a house and some of the front doors we were shown started at $20,000! Yeah, I freaked too. WTF, was it made of gold? We passed on those freakish expensive doors...

----------

Imagine a rock sailing up to the second or third floor... *CRASH*

----------

But weren't there huge figures being floated around for the glass in the stair treads at the SOHO store? As I remember it, they were EXTREMELY expensive...

15. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

After reading other news stories, there is no $450k price tag to fix the glass.
    Someone simply took the total cost of the new, 15 pane glass, building ($6.7M) and divided by 15.

Something tells me the price to fix it will be higher than $450k then.

16. takeshi74, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's easy to blow off the stated cost as artificially inflated when you're unaware of what it takes to produce the piece and transport it. I have a friend whose business just missed out on the job to supply the glass for that store. That piece is 15' x 32', 1.5" minimum thick laminated, so it weighs approximately 11,520 pounds. There are only 2 kilns in the world that can fire a piece of glass of that size. One is in Germany. The other is in China. The air transport from Germany alone was going to cost her company $250K.

Even without knowing someone in the biz one could find an article like this with a quick Google search for a rough idea of what it takes for a project like this. You might not come up with a $450K figure but it's a good bet that Apple isn't going to wait for the glass to arrive by ship.
    http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2011/08/09/new-glass-technology-is-behind-cube-replacement/

EDIT: Her numbers seem slightly off since the cube is 32' on a side and it takes 3 panels for each side.

Apples and oranges.

...and don't forget that this was rebuilt at Apple's whim to reduce the number of panels used. There were no problems with the original 90 panel design that prompted the rebuild.

17. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I took a look at some photos of the incident and I must concede that this is no ordinary pane of glass.

It's much bigger than I thought it would be, and I'm amazed that it didn't explode into a billion tiny pieces. The "cracked" look is actually sort of interesting.

18. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

19. Mrbobb macrumors 601

No need to get excited folks, it's all insured.

20. I7guy macrumors G5

So now instead of the cost of my phone going up, the cost of my insurance will go up.

21. Bear macrumors G3

I'm sure the price of the glass includes things like about how many tries for the piece of glass to come out perfect. And I'm sure the company that sells the glass has to guarantee that it won't crack before it gets installed.

22. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

WOW!

I can't believe the EAS System wasn't activated!

This is earth shattering! (get it?...shattering...:p)

I'm surprised that a National State Of Emergency wasn't declared.

Breathtaking...:rolleyes:

;) :D

23. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Read books that account when Jobs designed the Apple Stores, he went to every hair-rising detail, one of them he ordered SPECIAL glass that were not sold anywhere, so that it's a single piece, reflects the lights just right etc etc. There was no, oh we have a budget of blah blah for a store. No, it's designed by Steve Jobs and he wanted things just so and if he had to import the dang thing from Italy so that's what happened.

1/2 mill? Not surprised at all.