Can't book my macbook pro

matt3526

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Hi,

I have an early 2011 macbook pro that won't boot. It gets past the spinning thing then stays on a grey screen and the fans go crazy. If I try and boot from safe mode or bootcamp I get a blue screen. If I try and boot into the recovery partition I get a blue screen. I have tried the NVRAM option but I have a firmware password and I get stuck there.

Is there anything I can do? Luckily everything is backed up to my time capsule.
Thankfully I have applecare until next month.

Thanks,

Matt

matt3526

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
I have no idea if the hard drive is ok, but as everything is backed up I'm not too worried. I tried booting from the CD; it gets to a blue screen (not death associated I think) and the CD drive makes noises, but then the fans kick in and it shuts down. I know about the GPU issue. I took my MBP in a few months ago but genuis said it was ok

matt3526

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Unfortunately I guess so. Oh well, I have a Friday appointment booked.
On a possibly related note, I took the back cover off to clean the ram and noticed that the whole area around the fans is super hot, and the bit of board in-between them is really uncomfortable to touch. Could it be a fan issue?

Thanks for all the help so far

moneybags

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013

chrisperro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
canada
Make sure the fan is well seated by the connector , are both fans working?

----------

You have AppleCare?
Why are you here ? Just go to apple!!

matt3526

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Just one word: Radeongate.
You're extremely lucky that you have AppleCare. I personally don't - so I'm screwed.
Check my message here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=18927792&postcount=3
I strongly advise you to rush to your nearest Apple Store or whatever.
Ouch,

I can't believe so many people are having that problem.
On a related note, I left my computer off with the back off for several minutes while I typed my last few messages on my phone. When I checked to see if my fans are working (which they are) my computer booted to the login screen. Just waiting to see how much further it gets. So is this a thermal issue? Is it still worth a trip to the apple store?

Thanks

matt3526

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Just to follow on from this, the problem went away for a bit but now it's back again. I guess there is a real fault. Off to the store I go!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi,

I have an early 2011 macbook pro that won't boot. It gets past the spinning thing then stays on a grey screen and the fans go crazy. If I try and boot from safe mode or bootcamp I get a blue screen. If I try and boot into the recovery partition I get a blue screen. I have tried the NVRAM option but I have a firmware password and I get stuck there.

Is there anything I can do? Luckily everything is backed up to my time capsule.
Thankfully I have applecare until next month.

Thanks,

Matt
Welcome to Radeongate.

Mine was also hit by it...2 days AFTER my AppleCare expired! :mad: