Can't Boot Camp B/c of Immoveable files?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Robg54, May 20, 2008.

1. Robg54 macrumors member

Ok, so I cannot seem to partition for boot camp b/c of "immoveable files." Bootcamp assistant seemed to suggest copying my hard drive onto a portable hard drive and then booting, and wiping my hard drive clean and transfering the files fresh off my portable.

well, I have two usb backup drives. I used superduper to make what seemed to claim to be a bootable copy of my HD and I used time machine to create a backupo of the other, just in case.

Well, neither seems to be bootable according to the start disk selector.

What Am I doing wrong? Is it true I can only use firewire drives as boot disks, and if this is so, is there ANY way around this?????

2. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

I had that problem and it was because of my music (almost 60GB worth). I just stuck it all on a external drive and deleted it from the MBP HD and it worked. So instead of making bootable copies of your HD I would try copying large amounts of file to a HD...see if that works for ya.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When you use SuperDuper, it's copying the drive bit for bit, which means all that unmovable files are in the same spot. You can either move a bunch of big files, defragment the hard drive, or backup and restore with Time Machine.