Can't boot from CD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Smuurfisar, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Smuurfisar macrumors newbie

Hello. I am running on a 13 inch Macbook Unibody. I am running Leopard. I have never dropped it or put it through anything that should harm it. I have searched but never quite found the same problem as I have.

Problem short: Can't boot from CD

Problem long I am trying to install Windows XP with bootcamp but for that I need to "rewrite" my harddrive (or something). To be able to do this I need to boot from the Leopard disk. When I boot from the CD holding alt I get to the screen where I can chose how to boot. I click the disk and the computer reboots.

What I have tried ----->
    · Booting with Leopard disk holding C
    · Booting with Leopard disk holding alt and then selecting disk
    · Reseting PRAM (cmd, alt, p, r)
    · Taking out the battery, holding the powerbutton down and trying to boot with C again.
    · Booting from an external CD(reader?)
    · Opening the disk in Finder and launch the install Leopard and reboot. (This puts my computer in a reboot cycle)

I am pretty sure It has something to do with the computer and not with the disk since I've tried several disks, both DVDs and CDs.

Geting around the problem Now this might not work at all but how about splitting the harddrive with one 5gb or less. Boot with the small harddrive and rewrite the big one with Disk Utility. Then erase the little harddrive and get bootcamp to work without ever having to boot from a CD.

I don't really know alot about computers so if you think you might have a solution try to keep it easy to follow.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You need to "rewrite" your hard drive? To configure Boot Camp, you should just have to run /Applications/Utilities/Boot Camp Assistant.app.

3. Smuurfisar thread starter macrumors newbie

When I try to partition a harddrive for windows bootcamp tells me to like "rewrite" my harddrive. (I guess to like gather the information on one part of the harddrive (not sure))

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. Smuurfisar thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes:)