Can't boot from ext drive after 10.5.2 updt

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fred.cars.gmail, May 13, 2008.

1. fred.cars.gmail macrumors newbie

I followed the procedure in Apple Tech article 306502 for creating and updating a bootable drive. I am in a PPC Mini environment. External drive is LaCie 160 GB rugged portable with auxiliary power. I created the drive with 10.5.1 and it booted nicely to my two minis running 10.3.9 and 10.5.1. I then updated the external to 10.5.2 from the Apple site and now it does not boot. Sits and spins with a white screen, grey apple, and whirligig. Let it run 1/2 hour and tried several times. The Mini shows it as a startup drive at 10.5.2 in the prefs startup panel, but no go. The contents are fully readable. I can run apps from it on the Mini. The System has two folders: Install at Startup and Library. When it tries to boot, the head moves for about 30 seconds, and then it goes quiet.

Is there a boot record or other controlling factor that I can look at, repair, replace, or whatever? Any good utilities for this? Any ideas at all? I have seen this mentioned a few times around the 'Net, but I have not seen a cure.

Thanks,
    Fred

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I would do a couple of things.

1. Boot from the mini and run disk utility. Run (on the external disk) verify disk and if you see errors, run repair disk. Also run Permissions repair.

2. If that doesn't fix the problem, download the 10.5.2 combo updater. Then boot into "Safe Mode" and apply the combo updater to your external drive.

3. fred.cars.gmail thread starter macrumors newbie

Did #1 as best I could. There were no hardware errors reported. BUT, the permissions check and repair are grayed out and the disk has Permissions Enabled: No . My boot volume has Permissions enabled: Yes. Is this significant, and what do I do about it? What is the meaning of Permissions enabled? I will put off #2 until this is resolved. Thanks

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Item 1 is for the volume. You can't repair permissions on the physical device. The same thing for "repair disk and verify disk". Sorry I wasn't clear about this.

Item 2 is for the physical device (above the volume name).

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Disregard my last statement about Item 2. Got mixed up with another thread I was responding to. Sorry. :D