Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
I made a copy of my HD using CCC and can boot it if I select it as my startup disc under System Preferences but if I shut down the computer and hold down the option key, the external is not selectable from there even though it's connected via FireWire 800.

Any idea why?

EDIT: I've tried everything. It won't boot no matter what.
EDIT: My external cannot be booted on a PPC :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
I repaired the permissions on the external and tried to power it via USB before connecting it via FireWire 800 to my laptop and it's still not working.

Would it have to be via FireWire 400? I might as well give that a try anyway along with via USB.

Do you guys see anything wrong here?

Attachments

• Picture1-1.jpg
    Picture1-1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 104

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
Update:

I think I figured out the problem. Apparently there's a partition for the "SmartWare" and I think that's interfering with me being able to boot.

Is there any way to remove this partition? I've tried everything.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Format the drive with GUID or MBR, then back to AMP. That will get rid of any hidden partitions on it.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Okay. I did that and I'm cloning the HD again. I'll update later on when I can try to boot.

I too have a WD drive. It's pretty irritating that most every drive has junkware preinstalled that does nothing but get in the way.

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
I too have a WD drive. It's pretty irritating that most every drive has junkware preinstalled that does nothing but get in the way.

Yup. No dice getting rid of it. I tried partitioning to GUID and MBR then back to AMP and it's still there. I'll attach some pics..

The first pic you can see the small partition at the bottom.

The second pic shows that there is some used space showing even though the drive was freshly formatted.

The third pic just shows that the OS is installed and I can boot if I use it as my start up disc but that is all.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
I don't think there's anything else I can do but quick question; If I install a new internal HD with no OS installed on it and I try to turn on the computer with my external hooked up via FireWire 800, will it automatically boot from my external or will I still be having the issue that I'm having?

I'm asking this because I wanted to buy a 250GB HD and if it'll automatically boot from my external, I'll just throw in the towel..

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I don't think there's anything else I can do but quick question; If I install a new internal HD with no OS installed on it and I try to turn on the computer with my external hooked up via FireWire 800, will it automatically boot from my external or will I still be having the issue that I'm having?

I'm asking this because I wanted to buy a 250GB HD and if it'll automatically boot from my external, I'll just throw in the towel..

Try booting from the external by holding down the following while powering up:

Command-Option-Shift-Delete

That combination should make the computer try to boot from any external it can find. I run Lubuntu Live from a usb flash drive this way.

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
Which Western Digital Drive is this? My WD Mac specific drive is not bootable on a Mac, I don't know why.

Check WD's website to see if it is just the drive.

----------

I just found something:
boot without the drive plugged in while holding option until the selection screen comes up

after it finishes finding all the available drives then plug in your external. The drive should appear as bootable.

There is something goofy with the WD FireWire drives and apparently this makes it work.

source: http://sphaerula.com/wordpress/comp...rn-digital-my-passport-studio-external-drive/

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
Try booting from the external by holding down the following while powering up: Command-Option-Shift-Delete

When I do that, a white screen comes up with a folder that alternates between a "?" and the Finder icon but doesn't boot. It does that when I boot from my external by choosing it as my startup disc too, but only once then it boots.

EDIT: I just tried it again and this time it worked but used my internal to boot of course.

Which Western Digital Drive is this? My WD Mac specific drive is not bootable on a Mac, I don't know why.

It's a 500GB My Passport Studio.

I just found something: boot without the drive plugged in while holding option until the selection screen comes up. after it finishes finding all the available drives then plug in your external. The drive should appear as bootable.

I just tried that and it didn't work :( I'm not understanding why this isn't working no matter what I do.

Last edited:

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
When I do that, a white screen comes up with a folder that alternates between a "?" and the Finder icon but doesn't boot. It does that when I boot from my external by choosing it as my startup disc too, but only once then it boots.

EDIT: I just tried it again and this time it worked but used my internal to boot of course.

It's a 500GB My Passport Studio.

I just tried that and it didn't work :( I'm not understanding why this isn't working no matter what I do.

There is some issue with the WD external drives and PPC Macs. I think you'd have to break the hard drive out of the WD casing and put it in a new external firewire case (after reformatting) to make it work. Search MR, there is someone else here who had that problem.

It's not a WD bare hard drive issue, it's some issue with the external casing/wiring.

I've never owned these types of external drives/casings -- only firewire MacAlly and Acomdata (now defunct!) and lately an Apricorn universal usb thingie that are made for macs.

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
I'm about to give up. No matter what I do, I can't boot from my external. I actually realized that even when put it as my startup disc, it still boots from my internal.

I also realized that neither CCC or SuperDuper! were cloning all of my files. See the first attached pic for that. Can that be the issue?

In the second pic, it's "booted" from my external and looks like it's booted but I can actually eject the drive so it can't be running from my external.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 94

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I'm about to give up. No matter what I do, I can't boot from my external. I actually realized that even when put it as my startup disc, it still boots from my internal.

I also realized that neither CCC or SuperDuper! were cloning all of my files. See the first attached pic for that. Can that be the issue?

In the second pic, it's "booted" from my external and looks like it's booted but I can actually eject the drive so it can't be running from my external.

Use the Restore function in Disk Utility to make an exact copy of your internal drive. Just drag your internal drive to the "source" box, and your external to the "destination" box. Make sure to check the box marked "erase destination". This is necessary in order to be able to start up from the destination drive. At least, that's how it normally works.

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
I found the following page on WD's website. Sorry to say it appears your external is listed as not bootable on Power PC Macs. So, my previous recommendation can be ignored.

I tried it before anyway with no luck of course. So, this has been resolved I guess.. Not what I wanted to hear but at least I'm done wasting my time.

Anyone want a new-ish 500GB WD My Passport Studio? lol This drive is pretty much useless to me now.
EDIT: Drive sold. Thank you eBay!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.