Can't boot from hard drive! STARTING TO PANIC!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pacastor, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Pacastor macrumors newbie

Okay, I'm not exactly a newbee to Macs...I just bought my 3rd MacBook in 4 years. But I've never had any problems with them until now, so navigating my way through fixes is not my thing.

I'm trying to restore my previous MacBook Pro 17 to "factory settings," so I can give it to a friend. In the process, I think I might have killed it. (oops!)

Where I'm at now: When I turn it on, it goes to the light gray screen with the dark gray apple in the center and "thinks" for about 10 seconds before going to a completely black screen with only this message:

localhost:/ I have no name!#

Eventually, after several minutes, it goes all black except for a cursor prompt in the upper left most corner.

Fortunately (I think), the OSX install disk is in the DVD drive. When I power up and hold the C key so it will boot to the dvd drive, it works (or seems to). I verified drives and permissions, and it tells me all is well. It shows Macintosh HD is mounted and also apparently doing well.

So I try to reinstall OSX from the disk, it goes through the whole installation for about an hour, but when it's done it restarts (I can't stop it 'cause it will do itself in 30 seconds), and I'm back to square one. If I let it reboot itself, it goes to the black screen, if I hold C when it starts to reboot, I'm back at the start screen for the installation process from the disk. It never asks for disk 2, which is probably fine since I can't even seem to eject disk 1 now anyway!

Ugh! No matter what I try, I come back to this same dilemma. Feels like Groundhog Day in Mac Hell!

Maybe it's really dead, and maybe it's a simple fix. I'm just not Mac-versed enough to know the difference.

Any help out there? PLEASE? And thanks in advance.

2. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I understand if you hold down the mouse button when booting the DVD will eject... then you might have a successful boot...:confused:

3. naftalim macrumors 6502

I'm no expert, but shouldn't you try to run Disk Utility as it comes up from the Install DVD and make sure the disk is fine and then run the Install as you would in an Erase and Install?

4. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I also am no expert, and I tend to, as water and electricity do, follow the path of least resistance. Sorry.

5. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Disk 2? Are you sure you are using the disk(s) that came with THAT particular computer - or that came with one of the Macbooks? Or is this a retail Leopard DVD?

6. Pacastor thread starter macrumors newbie

They are the right disks that came with the laptop (MacBook Pro 17, 150Gb harddrive, etc). Two OSX install disks came with it. Doesn't matter, really, if I can't get past my problem even with the first disk. I can eject the CD by holding down the mouse during boot, but without a disk in it, I just get the gray screen at boot up, but instead of the dark gray apple in the center, I get a slow flashing folder icon with a question mark in the center.

Any other suggestions? It's looking pretty bleak at the moment. I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks.

7. yudilks macrumors regular

You should try to Erase the whole HD again...

1. Boot using your recovery DVD
    2. Open the Disk Utility, choose the Macintosh HD and Erase it.. Make sure the format is "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"
    3. Then you can exit the Disk Utility, the recovery process should proceed by then...
    4. Follow the instruction on the screen
    5. Put the second DVD when prompted
    6. Your Mac should restart automatically and boot to Mac OS X

8. Pacastor thread starter macrumors newbie

IT WORKED!! I'M SAVED!! Thanks SO much...I'm back in business!!