Can't Boot From Install Disk (Crashes/Continuous Loading)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by S-Harkey, Sep 6, 2009.

1. S-Harkey macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I'm running OS X 10.5.8 on a MacBook Pro. Lately my mac has been buggy, and I'm not sure why. When a decent amount of information is processed by any given application, it crashes. These crashes have included Mail, Safari, Photoshop, Foxfire, etc.. even the entire computer has shut down. Using the reset option does not help.
    I ran Repair Disk Permissions and it always fails. I get messages like "The Underlying Task Reported Failure on Exit".
    I wanted to try to run repair disk through the install disk but I cannot access it. I have Disk 1 in (Maybe I'm supposed to use 2?).
    When booting I tried pressing 'C' and would eventually would get the "must restart" gray screen. I then tried pressing "Option" instead, selected the Disk drive, but the loading screen with the apple just kept going for about 20 minutes and I finally gave up and restarted. There were no longer any disk attempt whirring sounds.
    Any advice anyone can give? I'm not very tech savvy so please be thorough with any suggestions :)

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You've already done all of the troubleshooting I would have suggested, and yes, disk 1 is the one you should be using. Is the computer under warranty?

3. S-Harkey thread starter macrumors newbie

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

In that case, it's time to put that to work. You've done all you can.

5. londoner1 macrumors newbie

re cant boot from install disk

Have you recently installed anything that could have put a kernel extension that is playing up? If so you could try uninstalling it - dragging the app to the trash may not be enough - the only other things to try is to take out RAM modules one at a time and see if the problem is still there. You could also start in verbose mode (Command-v after the system bong) or safe mode (Command-S after the chime) and run fsck . This runs disk repair routines See http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417
    Next step for me then would be to see if it will start in target disc mode when connected to another mac. If so you could use disc utility to reformat the hard drive, and reinstall. Hope you have backups.
    Apple care in my experience will keep your mac for 2 weeks to do the above, and then have to reinstall your software, so it depends if you can do without it for a while...
    S