Can't boot from Leopard CD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JWFerne, Jul 5, 2009.

1. JWFerne macrumors regular

I'm trying to reinstall a fresh copy of OSX Leopard on my computer. After clicking restart from the CD installer the computer reboots and then I get a dark grey screen saying Please hold down the power and restart the computer. No matter what I do the same thing keeps popping up.

I have't added any memory or changed any hardware. I ran techtool deluxe and everything looked fine.

I've also zapped the pram.

Any suggestions????

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. JWFerne thread starter macrumors regular

I have two of them... Leopard installer & the original Mac Pro disk installer 1&2

Which should I be using? I'm assuming the leopard since I just want to wipe and reinstall

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

5. California macrumors 68040

California

Is it an upgrade Leopard disc? Or is it a full retail full install Leopard disc?

6. JWFerne thread starter macrumors regular

no clue... its the leopard family pack. I'm assuming full retail

MB022Z/A

Also, I haven't tried booting from any other type of disk. I'm thinking it wont since it's not for the leopard OR the original mac pro disk.

Upgrading to 10.5.7 right now. The computer hasn't been on for a few months.

7. JWFerne thread starter macrumors regular

Did the 10.5.7 update and I still get the grey (You need to restart your compute. Hold down power to reboot )screen while trying to boot from CD. I this a Kernal panic?

Frustrating!

What I don't understand is that the CD's work fine when the hard drive boots up. I can run anything off of them and they read/write no problem.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

9. JWFerne thread starter macrumors regular