Can't boot from Leopard DVD!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swissino, May 25, 2008.

1. swissino macrumors newbie

Hi, I updated my mac os x to Leopard and then I wanted to install windows XP with Bootcamp, but I did something wrong and I formatted my Machintosh HD! Now when I boot I get the message "No boot device -- insert a boot disk and press any key"... I tried to boot from Leo DVD (also holding "C") but it doesn't boot! I tried holding "option key" but nothing, always the error message. Any idea? I booted with a software called PartedMagic and I see my HD with "unallocated" written (I stopped the windows installation after the formatting in NTFS).

Please Hep me!

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

To me it seems something is wrong with your keayboard. You should be able to decide which disc to boot from with the option key or the C keya t startup.
    Try resetting the PRAM and see if it works:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US

If it works, that is you hear the second startup sound shut it down and retry with the C key and the Leopard DVD.

3. SamoanDude macrumors regular

Agree. Holding down C with the Leopard disk in should boot from the disk regardless the state of the hard drive

4. swissino thread starter macrumors newbie

Uhm... No, no problem with my keyboard...when I hold C key the only thing that appends, is that the error message appears again and again until I release the key.

Nothing happen when trying to reset PRAM, I don' hear the sounds (I don't even hear the first sound on boot.....)

The weird thing is that my iMac doesn't boot from leopard DVD but it does with Windows XP installation CD!! I "could" install windows .. but not Leopard.... I think Bootcamp altered something in may mac, ... probably the firmware?? I tryied resetting it with the Apple firmware restore CD but it doesn't read the CD........ and I get the same error message.... Any idea? Please....help! :(

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I had this exact problem with my Mac Pro about a year ago. Trying all the usual solutions proved useless. Eventually in a moment of sheer panic I turned to a "Tiger" tech book. I didn't really know what I was doing but I followed the instructions blindly as a very last resort. I decided I can't do any more damage so what the hell !!!!
    (Not sure if it will work in Leopard)

Warning this is not for the faint hearted (It scared the bejesus out of me)

Please do not do this until more knowledgeable MR members have replied and commented on this course of action.
    I don't know how it worked but all I can say is that it worked for me.

Turn on the computer & when the chimes start hold down the Apple + S keys

(* means insert a space)

Type the following
    /SBIN/MOUNT*UW*/
    Hit the enter key
    RM*/VAR/DB/.APPLESETUPDONE
    Hit the enter key
    REBOOT
    Hit the enter key.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU LET "SMART" MR MEMBERS REPLY BEFORE TRYING THIS

6. swissino thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I will wait for a MR member reply! And if he (they) confirm, I'll try.

Thanks a lot!
    Fabio

7. SamoanDude macrumors regular

if that fails. I would just take it in to the nearest Apple store

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Before you do anything I would do these again:

1. Reset your SMC (since I don't know what Mac you have, you will have to search Apple.com/support with the keyword "SMC reset".

2. Reset your PRAM again.

3. Insert your Leopard DVD in the optical drive.

4. Power down your mac

5. Power up your Mac and immediately hold down the option key until you see the boot loader screen (blue screen with bootable volumes on it).

6. Select the Leopard installer and click the right arrow to continue the boot.

7. When you get the install screen, select English and then stop.

8. Go to the Utilities menu and select Disk Utility.

9. In Disk Utility select your disk and see if it has a Mac volume below it. If so, try to run First Aid -> Repair Disk. If not, you have probably overwritten the partition when you tried boot camp. In this case, you are hosed and the only thing left is to erase the disk and do a fresh installation of Leopard.

9. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I had very nearly reached that point, but then discovered that our local Mac repair establishment (we don't have an Apple store as yet) were charging £65 an hour !!!! ($120 per hour)

10. swissino thread starter macrumors newbie

Uhoh....! :) I feel like a stupid.... I disconnected the mouse from the keyboard (don't ask what I was thinking of).... and then the "hold option key on boot" WORKED!!!!!! And then I reformatted the HD and I'm installing Leopard right now!

Thanks for all your help, anyway.

Hope this post could help someone else!

Fabio

11. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack