Can't boot from Leopard Install?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cmillermo, Oct 20, 2009.

1. cmillermo macrumors newbie

So, today I tried to install windows through boot camp assistant on my mac. When it got to partitioning my drive I got an error that my hard drive needed repairing. So I opened up disk utility and clicked verify disk (I can't click repair) and got this error
    Disk Utility stopped verifying “Chris Hard Drive” because the following error was encountered:
    Filesystem verify or repair failed.

I then researched this and learned to fix the problem I must boot from my leopard install disk and use the DU from their. Unfortunately I don't have access to the disk. But I have the install disk from my old macbook (the white one) so I used this. I put in the disk and shut down. When I turn it on I hold C but all I get is a grey screen but with out the apple logo. When I try turning it out holding alt I don't get the option of the CD just Chris Hard Drive. But when I boot up holding D i do get to the hardware test screen but I get the error that's something like "Hardware test does not support this hardware". Will the Leopard install of a different type of macbook not work on my new macbook pro (13" aluminium)?
    Thanks

2. pdubak macrumors member

Your Macbook install disk is not working because the disk you have is locked to only work on the Macbook and your new Macbook Pro is firmware locked to only work with 10.5.6 or higher. Also, the hardware test will not load on any model it's not specifically made for.

If you have a firewire cable, you can connect your two machines together and boot the one needing disk repair to target disk mode by holding the T key at boot. It will then show up on your other computer as a Firewire "disk" on the desktop. You can then go into disk utility and run a repair on the disk.

A disk repair also automatically runs during Safe Boot (aka disable extensions mode) but I can't promise it will repair your disk. Boot your computer and hold "Shift" to boot into Safe Boot then verify the repair on your disk again via disk utility.