Can't boot iMac from OS X DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PartisanEntity, Dec 10, 2010.

1. PartisanEntity macrumors member

Hi all,

A few days ago I got my new iMac, but apple forgot to include the installation DVD (I contacted them and they are sending one).

I tried to boot the iMac from a retail DVD of Snow Leopard, but that did not work.

I am wondering if there is any way for me to make a booteable DVD for the iMac using the retail DVD?

I need my iMac for work, and my ageing MacBook is not up to it anymore, so any advice appreciated.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How did you try to boot it from the install disc?

3. PartisanEntity thread starter macrumors member

While starting the iMac I pressed C. It read from the DVD and but didn't get passed the grey screen with the dark grey apple logo.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

There's really no reason the SL disc shouldn't work unless the disc is damaged.

- Did you try booting holding down the c key
    - did you try holding down the option key?
    - does it boot from any other install CDs?
    - can your macbook boot from the SL Disc?

5. PartisanEntity thread starter macrumors member

yes, hangs at the apple logo

yes, i selected the dvd and hit enter, hangs at the apple logo

i shoved an old ubuntu cd in and it started booting from it

yes macbook boots fine from the DVD

A friend of mine told me it could be that my retail Snow Leopard DVD does not have the required drivers for the 27" iMac. Could that be? My retail Snow Leopard dvd is about a year old.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Does the DVD work on other computers? Could be that the disc is scratched or something as iMac should boot from the disc even though it didn't include the necessary drivers

7. PartisanEntity thread starter macrumors member

yeah the dvd worked on my macbook

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Despite posts in this thread to the contrary, you cannot boot a Mac from an OS that is older than the computer. The retail DVD is probably older--maybe quite a bit older--than your computer. If this is the case, then the fact that you can't boot your Mac from it is understandable.

Having said that, it is inconceivable that your Mac did not include the System Restore Disc. [These are not installation discs, per se. They are intended to return your computer to its as-shipped state.] It is also inconceivable that your Mac did not include a working installation of MacOS X. If this is the case, then the computer is defective. Rather than waiting to receive the System Restore Disc, you should be talking to Apple about having the computer repaired.

9. PartisanEntity thread starter macrumors member

The computer is fine, but I want to reinstall the OS, because I tried unsuccessfully to use the migration assistant to copy files and settings from my old macbook to my new imac.

It was shipped without the installation dvd, they are sending me the missing dvd by mail.

Is there really no way to create a slip streamed dvd of OS X 10.6.5?

10. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

When you receive the missing dvd from Apple make sure it also has iLife 11 on it.

11. PartisanEntity thread starter macrumors member

Funnily enough, they did ship iLife 11 with my imac, just not the restore dvd :)

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I would wager that you will laugh even harder when you find the System Restore disc after going back through the items included in your shipping package.

13. PartisanEntity thread starter macrumors member

I have checked the box contents several times, no joy unfortunately.