can't boot in safe modus in Macpro with 10.5 and software raid 0

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dk99, Mar 7, 2008.

1. dk99 macrumors newbie

hello
    Has anybody an idea that would help me?
    I installed OSX 10.5 on a last year MacPro (Octo) and also on an early 2008 MacPro (on a second set of 2HD's). When I want to make a "safe boot" pressing shift while starting, i do get the grey screen with the applesign and the spinning circle but after some time the computer shuts down and restarts, this is repeated as long as I press "shift" (excuse my english please).
    I never had someting like that with 10.4. Could that have something to do with the fact that 2 the HD's are put together in software raid 1?
    I installed "clean" on an erased Disk.
    Thanks a lot in advance
    David

2. dk99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Software Raid 1 and startup disk

the reason seems to be the software raid 1 which I used as a startup disk. With a single startup disk instead, everything is fine. Am I the only one with that problem?

3. turnercl macrumors newbie

SoftRAID raid1 boot volume

I noticed this behavior also. I thought it might just be the way the new 2008 Mac Pro machines handle safe-boot. However no documentation talks about this. It's good to know the probable explanation. For me that automatic reboot after (apparently) the fsck completes is OK since that's what I would be doing anyway.

4. mgsarch macrumors regular

I'll check again but I'm RAID 1 Boot and RAID 0 Scratch. No issues.

All software RAID.