cant boot in to win 10

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by orph, May 19, 2019.

1. orph macrumors 68000

orph

Hi recently i noticed not being able to boot in to windows 10, when i try to use bootchamp to boot windows it kicks out a big error window
    Screen Shot 2019-05-13 at 10.12.37 pm.png
    (this is the original error window with RX580 installed)
    or
    Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 4.44.26 am.png
    (this one poped up today with the GT120 installed and on a vertical display ie 90degre rotation if that changes anything)

I did a search and found
    https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...y-windows-volume.2144009/page-2#post-27362555
    danlivas mentioned PRAM rest fixed it but that has not worked for me

when i tried to reset PRAM i ended up in a boot loop

any ideas on whats wrong?
    do i just need to re install win 10 from DVD?

Attached Files:

2. crjackson2134, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019

crjackson2134 macrumors 601

crjackson2134

I would probably just install from a DVD in CSM mode if you can live with that. It’s less problematic in most cases. It works flawlessly this way for me, and you can use Apple tools to bless the drive for changing the default boot.

Resetting NVRAM does work for me in the rare cases where I have had the bless error. Just an FYI, I’ve had no bless errors here at all since upgrading my BootROM to v144.0.0.0.0 . Just say’n...

Yank the drive, and test out a CSM install for a while... Be sure to install BootCamp control panel from iMacPro 1,1 once windows is installed. It cured all bootdrive selection issues for me (CSM Intsall) and allows you to leave SIP enabled.

3. orph thread starter macrumors 68000

orph

sounds like a plan
    BootROM update then install win10 (CSM ill have to google) then BootCamp control panel for iMacPro 1,1

i gess i get the imacpro drivers with this https://github.com/timsutton/brigadier
    unless there is a simpler way

Thanks a lot for the fast reply :D was scared there was a bigger problem with my old MP

4. crjackson2134 macrumors 601

crjackson2134

That’s how I did it. Once installed, I made a WinClone image of the clean install, then did all the updates and tweaked the settings/drivers. Then made an additional WinClone image with all updates.

Restoring either of works well for me. I’ve hosed my install a few times while experimenting, and restoring was quick and painless. Anytime there are a lot of updates, I fully test out booting/rebooting/switching back to macOS etc... Once I’m satisfied it’s all working well, I make a new WinClone image to replace the older “Updated” version, so there is always the clean install and a fresh copy with latest updates.

I never need to start from scratch if something goes wrong. Anyway, this works for me.
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2019 ---
    The Compatibility Support Module (CSM) is a component of the UEFI firmware that provides legacy BIOS compatibility by emulating a BIOS environment, allowing legacy operating systems and some option ROMs that do not support UEFI to still be used.

In other words, non-UEFI mode.

5. orph thread starter macrumors 68000

orph

Thanks for all the help,
    I sent of my bootroom dump to be fixed so once thats all sorted ill get updates etc done then look to win 10.