Can't boot installation disc (retail)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by foodfightr, Oct 12, 2010.

1. foodfightr macrumors newbie

I have the latest MacBook Pro. I lost the CD that came with it. I'm attempting to reinstall Snow Leopard using a retail disc purchased from Apple. I've tried booting it by holding "C" and by holding "OPTION" and selecting the disc. I've also tried reseting the PRAM. It goes the the Apple screen and I can hear the disk spinning. Then it just hangs there.

Could this have anything to do with the fact that the computer came with 10.6.3 and I'm attempting to install 10.6 from the retail disc?

Thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What version of OSX is on the retail DVD? Most likely it's older than the version that shipped with your MacBook Pro so will not contain drivers for that machine. Return it to where you bought it and phone Apple Care. They will sell you the correct restore DVDs for your machine for about $20.

3. foodfightr thread starter macrumors newbie

Disc bundled with computer = 10.6.3
    Retail disc = 10.6

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

10.6 is not a version. The .1, .2, .3 matters. Even if the retail DVD was 10.6.3 it's possible (almost likely) that a new machine would ship with a special build of that version: that's the way it frequently works. My previous advice stands: return the retail DVD and get the correct restore DVD.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac OS X 10.6 is a version, the one that was printed onto the Upgrade DVDs, that went for sale in late August of 2009.

The :apple: > About This Mac window showed it as Mac OS X version 10.6.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That is 10.6.0

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Ahhhhh. You should be embarrassed. ;) Or me. :) I may have dabbled with the .plist file responsible for the information shown in the About This Mac info, and removed that pesky zero. :eek:

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Neither :) My point was that 10.6.0, 10.6.1, 10.6.2... all are 10.6.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't quite understand. I do, as Dr Fred would say/write. 99 conversations to go then.

Anyway, as most Retail versions of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard are currently holding the 10.6.3 version, they will not work with the 2010 MBPs, as they had (as someone mentioned already) a custom installation of Mac OS X on them.