Can't boot into my Main HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by offtheroad, Dec 12, 2009.

1. offtheroad macrumors regular

offtheroad

I have two internal HD's both with Snow Leopard. One called "MAIN" and the other called "Audio Video" I have a INTEL with 9 GB ram
    On the MAIN I ran CleanMYMac and Nortons. I deinstalled Nortons as far as I could go and now I can't boot back into MAIN HD I get the circle with a slash thru it. I reinstalled Snow Leopard 3 times on my MAIN because that was the only way back in but that really didn't solve my problem. I also get these Norton warning popup's. I tried to find them thru "easy find" and Spotlight but no luck. So I'm try t get around reformatting the HD. One person told me to just copy my System folder over to another external HD (without an OS on it) and reinstall Snow Leopard and them try and find the stuff I need on the moved System folder by picking thru it. ugh! Please help.
    jbechdel@comcast.net

Attached Files:

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Did you learn your lesson about installing antivirus on a Mac? Having antivirus on an OS X computer is worse than actually having a virus.

3. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

my first question: can you, or can you not, boot into your Main HD? your thread title says "no" but from the process you've documented it makes me think "yes" albeit with Norton errors popping up.

a quick google yielded this page. not sure if it will work for you since you've already uninstalled Norton. if that doesn't work then you'll have to go through your system files in /Library and ~/Library to hunt for the left over bits from Norton

out of curiosity, why did you have Clean My Mac and Norton A/V running? neither program seem very highly regarded...

4. offtheroad thread starter macrumors regular

offtheroad

yes I made a mistake

Yes I agree I should have done some research on those two utilities.

5. offtheroad thread starter macrumors regular

offtheroad

It worked

Thank you the removal scripts worked now I just need to see if I can repair permissions from my other internal HD and boot back into Main HD