Can't boot into Recovery mode

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by todesto, Dec 24, 2016.

1. todesto macrumors member

todesto

Hello

I have MacPro 2010 and installed 94360 BT module and succeeded getting continuity and handoff as well as air drop working. However, ever since I got Sierra installed, it seems I lost Handoff, Continuity. Only Airdrop works. So I tried to run CAT but it says NOT OK on verifying SIP.

So i wanted to disable csrutil by entering recovery mode, but my CMD+R doesn't do anything and it goes straight to login screen. So I thought it had to do with my Fusion Drive but when I checked diskutil in terminal, there is recovery HD.

Is there a special trick to get into recovery mode when you have fusion drive?

Please help. Thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

2. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

3. todesto thread starter macrumors member

todesto

4. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

I’d clone, then reinstall at that point. Probably worth doing a backup anyway?

5. todesto thread starter macrumors member

todesto

I am planning to clean install MacOS but I need to know the right way. I got bunch of apps that I do not want to reinstall. I have Time Machine back up.
    So if I format reinstall Mac OS and make sure I can boot recovery mode on boot and have it working correctly, then restore from TimeMachine backup, would I get everything back including apps just the way I have it?

6. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Pretty much. Although I don't like TM so can't advise on any procedures associated with it.
    I like cloning because it's a bootable backup which TM is not. You can also browse a clone very easily.

7. todesto thread starter macrumors member

todesto

Would Super Duper or CCC work just as well as TimeMachine?

8. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

It's a more drawn out process but what I do is;
    Install a back up system to a separate internal disk, (10.8 in my case as disk utility in that OS is better than the later ones).
    Boot from that back up OS and use DU to clone my production OS. It also means I can use the Mac while I'm backing up.