Can't boot into windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Amkruse, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Amkruse macrumors newbie

Hey out there!

I hope You can help me! Last week I dropped my baby (macbook 13" Late 2008) on the floor. I had to replace my hard drive and reinstall everything again including windows xp.

I have installed windows xp on my mac many times before, but on this new hard drive I can't do it any more. I followed the bootcamp instructions: partitioned my HDD, booted from the Windows CD and installed the content. But when I want to boot my mac in windows it just shows a blinking quastion marked folder, and I can't contiune the Windows installation. What to do?

Thanks,
    Anders Kruse (Denmark)

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How are you trying to boot it. Alt/Option at boot? Setting the Startup Disk in System Preferences? Some other method?

Could be something amiss with your partition table, you could try gptsync, gptrefresh or gdisk to try and fix it.

B

3. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Problem I've ran into before is when you make a FAT32 partition larger than 32GB Windows XP will not boot. The Boot Camp Assistant WILL let you do this (XP installer won't), so if you don't reformat the drive as NTFS during install, you will hang on boot.

At least this is my experience... If its over 32GB, its gotta be NTFS.