Can't boot into XP after 10.5.3 update

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Foxile, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Foxile macrumors regular

When I got my iMac, one of the first things I did was to fire up BootCamp and install XP, so I could use it for games.
    I've not been back to XP for a while, but when I tried to boot into Windows today, I hit a snag.

If I hold down the Option key, the two boot options come up. I highlight the Windows partition and click the arrow underneath, to boot into XP, but the system just does nothing. After about five minutes, it does a 'soft reboot' and loads OS X instead.

It's not a huge problem as I rarely use XP now, but I'd still like to be able to play a few games every now and then....

Any ideas, please ?

2. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I would try deleting the Windows XP partition and repartitioning and installing again.

3. Foxile thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried that and I'm still getting the same problem.

I might try again with a different partition size.

4. Foxile thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, still no joy. I tried a smaller partition ( 20Gb ) and it still refuses to boot correctly.

In fact it took a step backward in that I had to hod down 'C' with the OS X install disc in, just to get it to boot at all. It would just hang on a grey screen.

XP installed okay and I ran the Apple drivers update, but once it goes to re-boot, the problems begin.

I might just have to carry out a full re-install, then try again :rolleyes:

5. AlphaBoy85 macrumors regular

That's strange! everything seems working fine with me!
    Try installing "QuickBoot" app and try again.

6. Foxile thread starter macrumors regular

I've never heard of QuickBoot, but I'll give it a try.

I ran Disk Utilities and checked the drive...all appears fine, so I'm at a loss as to why it'd be causing these problems.

7. Foxile thread starter macrumors regular

Looking at the reviews, it seems I need to rename the partition that XP is on, to Windows. Problem is that following the install, I can't boot into Windows to do that :-(

8. AlphaBoy85 macrumors regular

Have you tried pressing alt continually while the Mac is on startup screen? I can choose Windows or Mac that way!

9. Foxile thread starter macrumors regular

That's how I've been doing it. It bring up the two disc icons. I select the Windows icon and then click the arrow. Nothing happens. It freezes and after a few minutes re-boots into OS X.

Might just be easier to buy a cheap machine for gaming and leave my Mac, Windows free.

10. AlphaBoy85 macrumors regular

That's what I think I'll do! lovely idea btw.. :cool: