Can't Boot Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mvkoe, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Mvkoe macrumors member

Mvkoe

Hey

I have a problem. My ML sometimes freezed, and I thought, let me try running disk repair and checking for permission repair also.

So I did that, and then suddenly my disk repair said there was a fault in my hard disk and said that i needed to backup my files and reinstall ML.

Now when i boot into my mac i can't get in :/ It show a Progress bar, and when its like 5 minutes further my macbook pro just shutdown.. I did PRAM reset, aso but nothing works ..

I really need to make a backup of my files! I tried mounting the hard disk to an other mac with an external hard disk case, but it doesn't show up on my other mac or windows pc..

Anyone that could help me???

Grz

2. Macman45, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

This sounds like a dead, or dying HDD..If you can't get at the files with the drive in a caddy, your only real option is Apple.

If your Mac came with installation disks, you could try running the AHT (Apple Hardware Tests) but that will probably just confirm a dead HDD...Instructions in the link below:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

3. Mvkoe thread starter macrumors member

Mvkoe

Isnt there à way, that i could access my files maybe? When i'm in single user mode, and use ls, i can see my files.. So i just need to get past THE boot.. :(

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Try booting your MacBook Pro in target disk mode and connecting to another Mac via Firewire.

That being said, always, always, ALWAYS keep a back up of your important files. Sometimes when a hard drive fails, you don't get warning and you just lose everything.

5. Mvkoe thread starter macrumors member

Mvkoe

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Buy a Firewire cable(make sure both Macs have Firewire ports, a few don't) or pick up an enclosure and try putting the HDD in that.

7. Mvkoe thread starter macrumors member

Mvkoe

Second option wont work, no pc/Mac shows up the hdd

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak